SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 Active/Active Cluster.

• Hi All,

I have a SQL Server 2005 Cluster (Active/Active) 64 Bit Enterprise Edition. This is a 2 Node cluster. There is a new requirement from my manager to install SQL Server 2008 instance also. I need to decide on two options and want to know how to go about it. As I am not very familiar with SQL so I will need some detailed help. The two options that I think of are as follows:-

- Upgrading one of the existing SQL server 2005 instance to SQL server 2008 and leave the other instance as 2005. This will give us an Active/Active SQL Cluster with one instance of SQL 2005 and another of SQL 2008.

- Installing a 3rd instance of SQL Server 2008 and making it to run on one of the Node. This will give us an Active/Active SQL Cluster in which we will have three SQL Instances two of which will run on one of the node and one will be running on another node.

Can you guys throw some light on which one will be the best option and what will be steps to do the installation?

Thanks,

• Hi,

Question is the purpose of the SQL 2008 instance. That is, if the hardware is strong enough to run two instances on the same node (and you can provide them dedicated disks) then you can perform a fresh install for SQL 2008. If not, then you should upgrade one of the instances.

If it helps, just forget one of the nodes and the fact that it's a cluster and put this question: should I upgrade my SQL 2005 or install a brand new 2008 next to it?

Nevertheless, the result should be a cluster where all the instances can run on the same node at the same time - do not overcommit your hardware, at least not significantly 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply