SQL Server 2005 CALs

• Hi - I have a quick question - I have purchased SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition Server License with 60 user CALs. Can I purchase another SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition Server Licence and split my previously purchased CALs between the servers ie Server1 30 CALs and Server2 30 CALs?

I cannot find any information on the Microsoft how to buy page - just details on the combinations of license available.

Any help would be much appreciated!

• hi,

splitting of CAL's is not possible.

• I thought a user CAL gave access to a SQL Server instance. With the CAL could you access Server1 close the connection then access Server2?

• Hi,

I am sure, its not possible to split the page.

nkgupta

• IMO:

- a user cal is dedicated to a user ! ( may connect to any number of instances)

- a device cal is dediceated to a (client) device ! (may connect to any number of instances, and used by any user of that device)

- ms doc:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/sqlserverlicensing.mspx

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I once worked for a company who buy 5000 cals... +any server license they need as needed.

It's not how many server you are connected to, it's just that you have the right to use the software to connect to any server in your network. In this case 1 cal = 1 user. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sopheap

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply