SQL Server 2005 Database connection

• Hi all, I have installed SQL Server 2005 express on my PC. I also installed a few sample databases like AdventureWorks. When I try to connect to this database it gives me a connection error and I am unable to connect. Can someone please advise me , If I am doing something wrong and how to fix this error ?

Regards

IQ

• How are you connecting to the database? Using SSMS? What is the error message that you get when you try connecting?

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

• Hi there, Thanks for ur message. I am connecting using the regular SQL editor. I am getting an error which states the server was not found or was not accessible, error 53.

The exact details of the error are attached in the screenshot. If the image is not being displayed please copy the URL into the browser.

Regards

IQ

https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Uploads/image-unavailable.png

• Please make sure that you are using the correct instance name to connect to SQL Server.

Open Run --> Services.msc

Check the SQL Server service, it should read something like SQLServer(InstanceName).

Make a note of the "InstanceName" and connect to SQL Server by using the instance name as YourComputerName\InstanceName.

Pradeep Adiga

• Thaks I will try this and will let you know.

• I continue to get the same error. I have checked the services and can see an instance named VSS Writer started and running. I tried using this with the computer name as in XYZ-PC\VSS Writer to connect but I continue to get the same error. Please advise.

Thanks

IQ

• Wow, please only post a question once as it fragments replies and you get asked the same questions over and over.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• In the Services console, look for the services which start with "SQL Server". In the Service Name the name inside the ( ) is the instance name. In the below screenshot, the highlighted part is the Instance Name.

Hence I would connect to the SQL Server using MachineName\SQL2005 or MachineName\SQL2008. Hope this clarifies.

Pradeep Adiga

• Thanks Pradeep for your message but I do not see anything like that in the control panel. I see something similar to the screenshot I have attached.

Please advise.

Regards

IQ

• I'm no expert and I haven't used the express version much, but from your screen print it doesn't look like SQL express has installed correctly. I think SQL VSS is a service that allows third party backup software to have access to SQL. VSS may sometimes be installed as part of Win XP.

As previous posters have noted, you should see "SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)" or something similar if sql server is running on your PC.

• Thanks everyone for your help, as suggested my SQL Server installation was not complete, I downloaded the SQL Server 2005 express edition from Microsoft'swebsite and this fixed the issue, I now see an instance nameed SQLEXPRESS in the services control panel. When I connect to this, it connects:-)

Thanks Again.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply