SQL Server 2005 database is slow

• Hi,

There is an interview question that the SQL Server 2005 database is slow. What will you do to find out the cause of db slowness ?

Please reply.

Thanks in advance.

• In my opinion, if this is an interview question then you need to get this on your own, else you would really be misrepresenting yourself. Honestly let them know what you think would be the correct answer. Then study after the fact so that you are prepared for the future.

David

@SQLTentmaker

β€œHe is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• That is a GIANT topic. You really need to develop your own story. If you don't have the knowledge yet to be able to walk someone through what you would do, you might not be ready for this job. As a starting point, I'd suggest getting a copy of my book, link below in the signature line.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (2/16/2011)

That is a GIANT topic. You really need to develop your own story. If you don't have the knowledge yet to be able to walk someone through what you would do, you might not be ready for this job. As a starting point, I'd suggest getting a copy of my book, link below in the signature line.

i Agree, read and read on the subject. is a better way to learn.

P.S. Grant i love your SQL Server Exectuion Plans books is really great! πŸ˜‰

• Pouliot Philippe (2/16/2011)

Grant Fritchey (2/16/2011)

That is a GIANT topic. You really need to develop your own story. If you don't have the knowledge yet to be able to walk someone through what you would do, you might not be ready for this job. As a starting point, I'd suggest getting a copy of my book, link below in the signature line.

i Agree, read and read on the subject. is a better way to learn.

P.S. Grant i love your SQL Server Exectuion Plans books is really great! πŸ˜‰

Thank you very much. I'm glad to hear it was useful.

Although, in this case, I'm referring to the other book, the one on performance tuning.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• @ grant

Urs book on sql server exceution plans is meant for sql 2005 or 2008 or is it just a general book.

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• SKYBVI (2/16/2011)

@ grant

Urs book on sql server exceution plans is meant for sql 2005 or 2008 or is it just a general book.

Regards,

Sushant

It's written for 2005, but it's largely applicable to 2008. the fundamentals have not changed a bit.

• Not to take away from Grant's book, but if you need information fast, Google "SQL Server Performance Tuning." There are literally hundreds of articles out there. Or search this site, as you have at least a better chance of finding good advice in the articles posted here.

As I tell every DBA and Developer I meet, Books Online is your friend. Learn it, live it, love it.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (2/16/2011)

Not to take away from Grant's book, but if you need information fast, Google "SQL Server Performance Tuning." There are literally hundreds of articles out there. Or search this site, as you have at least a better chance of finding good advice in the articles posted here.

As I tell every DBA and Developer I meet, Books Online is your friend. Learn it, live it, love it.

And for that matter, the same search on Simple-Talk.com will get you great information. Brandie is right, you don't have to go for my book (it's just better).

• Grant Fritchey (2/16/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (2/16/2011)

Not to take away from Grant's book, but if you need information fast, Google "SQL Server Performance Tuning." There are literally hundreds of articles out there. Or search this site, as you have at least a better chance of finding good advice in the articles posted here.

And for that matter, the same search on Simple-Talk.com will get you great information. Brandie is right, you don't have to go for my book (it's just better).

Grant, like cheddar, is always better! @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply