SQL Server 2005 Disaster Recovery question

• I am trying to work on a disaster recovery plan for SQL 2005.  Here are some questions need SSC gurus help.

1. After rebuilding master database, will resource database be rebuilt automatically?

2. BOL says, “In SQL Server, system objects are stored in the resource database. This database is updated whenever a SQL Server update is applied to the SQL Server executable, sqlservr.exe. After rebuilding the master database, you must reapply any SQL Server updates that you have previously applied to the server instance.”

Does that mean to apply all service packs and hotfix SQL server have had before the disaster?

The wired thing is after I rebuilt & restored master, then run

select @@version

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('ResourceVersion');

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('ResourceLastUpdateDateTime');

2007-02-10 00:39:35.480

The outputs are the same as before.  Do I need to apply service pack and hotfix then?

3. If the folder \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL is gone.  Subfolder DATA, FTDATA, and LOG have files inside.  Will rebuilding & restoring system databases bring SQL server the previous stage completely?

I notice that security certificates are gone after rebuilding and restoring master.  I am wondering what is the best way to recovery this folder.

Any related experience on this?

Thank you,

Vivien

• If you have the same version before and after rebuilding then there is no need to apply any service packs or hotfixes to your server. Then resource database will be updated if there is any change in the server and this is a readonly database and you can't update them manually.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• Thank you Sugesh.  Do you mind telling me where/how do you get this information?  Any link?

• you can search up in microsoft. There are n number of KB articles available for sql 2005 and they keep updating to reflect status till date.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply