SQL Server 2005 Encryption

• Anyone tried the Encryption /Decryption features of SQL server 2005, Is there any performace degradations? When I check the Execution plans for the same insert statement , without using encrypton and with encryption, i got the same execution plan, and when both of these statements run as a batch, both were having 50% time wrt the batch. Also the function EncryptByPassPhrase()  can return varbinary upto 8000 characters, so is there any otherway to Encrypt the text columns? I have the options for NetLib Encryptionizer and xp_Crypt, anybody tried this before? any performace degradation with these, which one is the best? I need to encrypt a huge database ( it is the customer requirement) .

Ann

• There will be some performance degredation as SQL needs to encrypt and unencrypt on the fly and there may be a jump in size with the data being stored as cyphertext when encrypted.

They want the whole thing encrypted? .. I would be really hesitant to just encrypt the whole thing or anymore than ABSOLUTELY necessary..

Thanks

Rich

• I knows there will be perfomance degradation, but the question is how much performance degradation? When i checked the execution plan, i am getting 2 rows - one for update and the other for 'CURSOR FETCH'

I think the Actual execution plans of these will give me the result any comments ? also since we have 2 rows min for each update, Do i need to consider the sum of all the 'Estimated I/O cost' as the total cost or just need to consider the cost of the 'UPDATE' from the first plan..

aneesh

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply