SQL Server 2005 Express: Can I use it in Access 2003?

• Hi all,

I have Microsoft Office Access 2003 in my Windows XP Pro PC. I just downdoaded and installed SQL Server 2005 Express to my PC. Can I use the SQL Server 2005 Express in my Access 2003 program?  If so, how to start and execute it in Access 2003 ADP programs?  Please help and advise. 

Thanks in advance,

SHC

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• some interesting comments on this:

http://www.databaseadvisors.com/gazette/sqlexpress.htm

• I have failed to link tables successfully and have a connection authentication error when trying a simple adodb connection excercise. - I will see if I can solve the problem - meanwhile hopefully this post will excite others to contribute !

• I am no authority, but I have been working on a access 2003 mdb conversion to sql 2005 express and adp/ade interface for a couple of databases used by 30-40 people.

Step 1: Ensure you go into the surface area configuration and enable TCP/IP

Step 2: Ensure the sqlbrowser is running also.

It listens for requests or something...

Step3: And this was discoverd by trial and error...

If you are not the owner, such as a member of a newly created role, you cannot connect to the database until you are added to the database to connect. I know this seems obvious, but in the role, select securibles, add the database, and select connect. Selecting select and execute would be helpful too if you want to ensure the users can run SP's.

NOTE: If you go back to view this new securable... it will be gone.

Don't worry, right click on the database and select properties. (there it is)

• Hi pthrope, Thank you for your response.

I am the owner of SQL Server Express/SQL Server Management Studio Express (SSMSE) and MS ACCESS 2003. What do you mean by "sqlbrowser" in the Step 2? Is it SSMSE? Please clarify it for me.

Thanks again,

Scott Chang

• sqlbrowser = the "SQL BROWSER service" (in control panel/admin tasks/services).

It "advertises" SQL instances, so it makes it easier for apps to "know" how to talk to a specific SQL instance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• This is a service that listens for commands on the port, or that what I read somewhere.

Anyway, go to your run prompt and type services.msc on the server and check to see if the sqlbrowser service is started and automatically started. MS defaults this and the TCP/IP disabled to prevent hackers from attacking your machine until you are ready to deploy it, or again that is another thing i read somewhere.

• What type of authentication is the server set up for? Can you create an ODBC connection to this server?

• See kb article for configuration of sql server 2005 to allow remote connections:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914277

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply