SQL Server 2005 Full Database Backup

• I'm taking full backup of database in SQL Server 2005 which is appending the data in same file on daily basis and not creating any new file on daily basis. I need to know how can I get full backup of database in SQL Server 2005 that creates automatically a new file on daily basis as per schedule.

• Let me get this straight, you are running a scheduled backup that is appending to a single file? How is this job configured?

I would suggest that you use the maintenance plan wizard to set this up. This will allow you to select the tasks you need and set them up as a single complete maintenance plan.

Regards, Irish 

• why dont you make a maintainance plan in which first step take full backup and schedule it and then add a clean file task to the second step and delete files based on days or hours, you can keep as many copys or only one depend upon ur requirement.

Thanks

• Sounds like it's going to a backup device with "append" instead of "overwrite".

I prefer creating indiviual .BAK files and keeping a few days worth on hand in case they're needed.

• [font="Tahoma"]I've written a script for full backup some days back, you can try the script. Check the link below

http://sql-articles.com/blogs/2008/06/backup-script-with-retention/[/url][/font]

• You should take differential backup and restore it.

mmmmmmmm......

• Amit Gupta (11/13/2008)

You should take differential backup and restore it.

Huh? Why would you want to do that?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • yea...why would you do that?

Maintenance plans are the way to go here buddy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply