SQL Server 2005 Gotchas

• We are currently in the 32 bit environment of SQL2K5 and are building a 64 bit environment. Are there a list of issues or concerns with the interoperability between the 32 client side and 64 bit server, other than running the 32 bit client in WOW - server side?

What are some of the concerns and 'gotchas' that have plagued everyone else that are readily documented?

Thanks,

Scottye

• We have one SQL 2005 install here, test and prod. It is 64 bit SQL 2005 SP1 standard edition. The only sort of gotcha I have encountered in 64 bit land is that Mgt. Studio is slower to open and navigate for some operations. Microsoft told me that it is a 32 bit app. and it will run slower on a 64 bit svr. Simply admin from 32 client. I cannot say 64 bit is any better or worse from my experience. This is due to the fact that we only have one app so far on it and it is three very small dbs. I have installed three instances of 2005 so for future upgrades from 2000 to 2005 I will simply consolidate a few SQL Servers on 2000 today to one quad server running 2005 multiple instances.

• Thank you for your response. Are you having any issues with the SQL Server BI Dev tool (for SSIS package creation)?

• We have trialled running DTS on a 64-bit SQL 2005 machine.  The only problem I found is that some custom DTS components that need to be in \system32 on 32-bit need to be in \SysWOW64 on 64-bit.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply