SQL Server 2005 High Availability - SQL Clustering (windows 2003 & SQL 2005)

• Hi;

This is to discuss SQL 2005 High availability - SQL clustering.

I initiate this discussion with some very interesting questing (might be helpful for others).

Background:

I m implementing SQL 2005 clustering (active/passive) with windows server 2003.

Q1 - at the time of installing SQL in cluster environment it is not showing option to select seprate partition for data (MDF) and log (LOG).

Q2 - I have 1 quorum partition, 4 data partition and 1 log partition but only 1 data partition can be selected at the time of SQL installation in cluster environment.

Q3 - little bit complicated - we want to have 2 public network 2 access my cluster server, 1 for external application server and 1 for internal application servers(blade servers communicate internally with fast n/w)

Q4 - disk dependancies - unable to add all data partition drives in disk dependancy

Appreicate if you all participate in this discussion as this is a senario base discussion and i m implementing same infrastructire setup.

• Q1 - at the time of installing SQL in cluster environment it is not showing option to select seprate partition for data (MDF) and log (LOG).

Q4 - disk dependancies - unable to add all data partition drives in disk dependancy

Leave this default at the time of installation,first Add Disks in the Storage and then add to the SQL Server Resource

Q2 - I have 1 quorum partition, 4 data partition and 1 log partition but only 1 data partition can be selected at the time of SQL installation in cluster environment.

you should define a MSDTC partition also

Q3 - little bit complicated - we want to have 2 public network 2 access my cluster server, 1 for external application server and 1 for internal application servers(blade servers communicate internally with fast n/w)

HP give Network Teaming Software,there should be minimum 2 NIC card 1 for Heart Beat and other for the network

if you have more than 2 NIC card then create a Team of them like 1 for heart beat and other all add in a Team,this will automatically balance the load of requests or packets on each other with the help of HP software

otherwise you will use SQL Server configuration Manager for multiple IP Address as shown in the figure

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Hi;

Jahanzeb; Thanks for your reply but my main focus is to create cluster with 2 public network.

as you know that normally in windows 2003 cluster we have only 2 network 1 is public and 1 is private (I know we can perform teaming for public network) but I want to create 2 seprate public networks (with seprate netwrok IP, for eg: 10.x.x.x and 192.x.x.x)

if anybody having any idea to implement this approach please help me. Thanks

• Syed is right, you should only set the 'data' path at install and then move databases and logs around after. I would have 4 drives. 1 for system db's and logs and then for user databases and logs. But that has to be done after install.

As far as the Net addresses are concerned, you'll need two card (or two teams) on which ever networks or subnets you want, you then set these up as clustered resources (bound to the releavent card/team).

MSDTSC is a must (we use a seperate group) but be careful cause it has the potential to fubar your entire cluster!

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• Clustering (and HA in general) is a VERY COMPLEX and CRITICAL subject!! You are asking questions that lead me to believe you have a very low probability for success. PLEASE do yourself and your company a HUGE favor and get a qualified consultant on board to help you understand what you NEED from an HA perspective and then help you ACHIEVE that objective.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• TheSQLGuru (5/10/2011)

Clustering (and HA in general) is a VERY COMPLEX and CRITICAL subject!! You are asking questions that lead me to believe you have a very low probability for success. PLEASE do yourself and your company a HUGE favor and get a qualified consultant on board to help you understand what you NEED from an HA perspective and then help you ACHIEVE that objective.

Kevin, are you a consultant? Do you know anyone? What are their rates?.............

The question was asked by someon wanting to learn. The origenal post saiid nothing about production or dev or anything...

Your right in that it goes without saying that you shouldnt make production changes on a system where your not sure of what your doing, or the requirments, or the solution or the impact. BUT, your post is not helpful.

It doesnt do to scare people, rather be helpful and make suggestions....... What they choose to do with the suggestions is up to them.

• If possible try to do the clustering in windows 2008. The 2008 implementation of windows clustering works better and is far more intuitive then the windows 2003 version. Also I found the books by Allan Hirt extremely helpful, Sqlserver 2005 high availability and sqlserver 2008 failover clustering.

David

• Schadenfreude-Mei (5/10/2011)

TheSQLGuru (5/10/2011)

Clustering (and HA in general) is a VERY COMPLEX and CRITICAL subject!! You are asking questions that lead me to believe you have a very low probability for success. PLEASE do yourself and your company a HUGE favor and get a qualified consultant on board to help you understand what you NEED from an HA perspective and then help you ACHIEVE that objective.

Kevin, are you a consultant? Do you know anyone? What are their rates?.............

The question was asked by someon wanting to learn. The origenal post saiid nothing about production or dev or anything...

Your right in that it goes without saying that you shouldnt make production changes on a system where your not sure of what your doing, or the requirments, or the solution or the impact. BUT, your post is not helpful.

It doesnt do to scare people, rather be helpful and make suggestions....... What they choose to do with the suggestions is up to them.

1) yes, I am a consultant and I know plenty of others. Rates are not public for any of them that I know of.

2)

that doesn't strike me as "someone wanting to learn" but someone intending to DO something.

3) I try to never assume that people know things such as "it goes without saying that you shouldnt make production changes on a system where your not sure of what your doing...".

4) I feel my post IS helpful, and that it IS good to "scare people" because people ROUTINELY do STUPID THINGS or things for which they are not knowledgeable, skilled, etc. and they suffer (sometimes GREATLY) for it. If my comments PREVENT that pain I see it as a big win. And I believe I have achieved that objective of protecting people from themselves quite a bit on this forum and in real life.

5) Giving people suggestions is often tantamount to giving them a gun with 5.97 bullets in it and letting them play Russian Roulette. Sorry - I don't operate that way. Sometimes NOT helping someone directly and telling them they REALLY need professional help is ABSOLUTELY the best advice I can give them. You are obviuosly free to disagree with that statement and I don't have an issue in the slightest if you do.

Respectfully,

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• TheSQLGuru (5/10/2011)

Schadenfreude-Mei (5/10/2011)

TheSQLGuru (5/10/2011)

1) yes, I am a consultant and I know plenty of others. Rates are not public for any of them that I know of.

2)

that doesn't strike me as "someone wanting to learn" but someone intending to DO something.

3) I try to never assume that people know things such as "it goes without saying that you shouldnt make production changes on a system where your not sure of what your doing...".

4) I feel my post IS helpful, and that it IS good to "scare people" because people ROUTINELY do STUPID THINGS or things for which they are not knowledgeable, skilled, etc. and they suffer (sometimes GREATLY) for it. If my comments PREVENT that pain I see it as a big win. And I believe I have achieved that objective of protecting people from themselves quite a bit on this forum and in real life.

5) Giving people suggestions is often tantamount to giving them a gun with 5.97 bullets in it and letting them play Russian Roulette. Sorry - I don't operate that way. Sometimes NOT helping someone directly and telling them they REALLY need professional help is ABSOLUTELY the best advice I can give them. You are obviuosly free to disagree with that statement and I don't have an issue in the slightest if you do.

Respectfully,

All i was trying to say, is that your critism could have been more contructive. :hehe:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply