SQL Server 2005 installation

• All,

I have installed sql server 2005 in my home machine. when i open management studio, it is prompting to choose the server name (By default nature). I didn't create any server while installing it in my machine. The thing is I don't see any such screen while installation. How to add a server? Or how to find is there any server name created while installation?

Inputs are welcome!

karthik

• SSMS would by default ask for a servername. That does not means you have any Database Engine installed on your desktop.

However, to confirm there are a couple of ways.

1) In SSMS, enter a "." where it asks for a ServerName. this will take you to the Local Database Engine, if it exists. you can then open a new query and type "select @@servername, serverproperty('instancename')". which will give you the ServerName (which should be your desktop, since you installed it) and the InstanceName if any.

2) go to Add/Remove Programs.

Hope this helps.

• Try the name of your machine.

• Look in the Services control panel and see if you have a service called "SQL Server" installed. (If installed with a named instance it will have the instance name in brackets, so the service would be called "SQL Server (INSTANCE)").

• karthikeyan-444867 (2/6/2011)

All,

I have installed sql server 2005 in my home machine. when i open management studio, it is prompting to choose the server name (By default nature). I didn't create any server while installing it in my machine.

What did you choose to install?

If you actually installed SQL Server, rather than just the client tools and the documentation, then you did indeed install SQL Server. It is easy to miss the screen if you were just clicking "next" in rapid succession. Defaults are filled in on the install files, to make the process easier.

EDIT: You can also type in "Local" for the server name, instead of just a period. It will work just as well, if you installed the default instance.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• hi karthik,

i hope you missed that screen. one cannot install sql server without a default server when installing database engine.

Believe you can and you're halfway there. --Theodore Roosevelt

• vk24/7 (2/7/2011)

i hope you missed that screen. one cannot install sql server without a default server when installing database engine.

Minor quibble. You need to remove the word "default" from that statement in order to make it 100% true. There is no such thing as a "default server". Default refers to the instance, and if that's what you meant, remember, you can have a named instance without having a default instance.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply