SQL Server 2005 Instance is not recognizing the Drives

• Hi All,

We had a Non-Clustered SQL Server 2005 Ent. Edition with latest SP installed. The Server has 2 named instances with 10 ~12 DBs in each.

Recently a new 3rd named instance got installed on it and when we are trying to create a db or restore the db, some of the drives the new instance is not recognizing.

I've tested with other 2 instances, both are identifying all system drives and can restore the db on them as well...

I am not sure where the setting for this new instance got changed and unable to see all system drives...

Upon looking further I found the 2 instances are running on a different Service Account and the new Instance is using another service account.

I am not sure, is this the root cause for the issue.

Could anyone please shed some light on this !!!

Thanks

Zaheer

Zaheer

• Make sure the 3rd instance startup account has necessary privileges in all the drives.

• Hi Vidya,

Thanks for your email.

I've added the 3rd Instance Service Account as Administrator in the system and also created

a login with SysAdmin permissions. Still I see no change.

Could you please elaborate on how I can make the 3rd instance startup account changes to have full privleges in all drives.

Thanks

Zaheer

• The service account was not in the Administrator group of the system, after adding it into the Administrator group and restarting the instance services, this issue is resolved (SQL Server new instance is recognizing all system drives).

Thanks for your time!!!

Zaheer

• Something to consider...

The SQL Server service account does NOT need to be in the Local Administrators group of the host machine. Elevated privileges of that degree is not a recommended practice.

A possible scenario is that the instance was installed with some other account (e.g. LocalSystem) and then changed to another service account via the Services Manager. The Services Manager does not alter permissions, group membership or local security policies for the account.

Using SSMS (or SEM in SQL 2K and earlier) to change the service account(s) for the services also grants the appropriate, least privileges permissions, group membership (if necessary) and security policies to the service account. If additional access is needed (e.g. to a network share for backups), those permissions should be added separately. When using multiple service accounts, it may be easier to create a group into which the service accounts can be added and grant permissions to the group for that type of access.

FWIW,

Art

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply