SQL Server 2005 is Here!!!!!

• Actually it was really released a month ago, but yesterday was the launch event in Denver. I had registered for this event both to see how it was handled and hopefully meet a few friends. It was handled well, lots of people attending, and I saw a few people, including Mike White and Bill Wunder shown above from the Boulder SQL Server Users Group.

It was a larger event than I expected, down at the Colorado Convention Center and there had to be 600, 700 or more people there. The keynote (shown below) was pretty full in a large lecture hall, thought the exhibition hall was a little small, with lots of local vendors. I did catch up with the Idera crew, but most of the other companies were more geared for the developers.

I missed the first few breakout sessions catching up with a few people, but I did go to the "Why Upgrade to 64-bit?" from HP. I wish I could say I have some compelling reasons for you to do so, but I don't. I did get a few things answered and some contacts and with a little more research, look for a commentary on that in the near future.

Overall it was a nice event, a little more geared to developers than the SQL Server folks, with lots of Visual Studio and BizTalk in the keynote, but still worth attending. And I now have my license for SQL Server 2005 and Visual Studio 2005, albeit a single CAL.

So I guess I won't let me wife on the local server here and keep it all to myself 🙂

Steve Jones

• Hi Steve,

Tommorrow is when the launch comes here to Orlando and I am sooooo geeked to be going. I was happy that you shared your experience on this since I don't have a clue of what to expect. I have never been to a launch for anything so I am sure it will be quite the experience. I am a developer so I am really excited to see what they have changed in Visual Studio 2005 and really excited to get my hands on a full version of the software (I have been waiting for some time to try out 2005 in its entirety, since I personally do not have a MSDN subscription I was stuck having to try out the new versions of 2005 with the "Express Edition" (I am under the impression that they actually give you a full version of 2005 Visual Studio, is that true?). In any event, it will be nice to mingle with other developers and dba's and see how they are doing things in their environments. I will have to post tommorrow on how Orlando went

Alexandros "Aleksei" Nipirakis

A failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!

• I was at the Chicago event a few weeks ago and we had an attendance of 4000 (yes four thousand!) people.  Most of the breakout sessions were worth watching and of course getting a free copy of SQL2k5 and VS2k5 were worth it.

The vendors hawking their wares were OK, but really I just checked out the ones who had the neat give aways.  There was some interesting things there, but for the most part, it wasn't really anything new.

Overall I was glad I went.  The whole show gave a great overview of what's new in the tools and what other companies have been able to do with the new technologies.  Made me want to whip out a laptop and start coding.

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

• Attended the Los Angeles event yesterday.  I'm impressed with the new stuff in VS 2005, but was a little disappointed that all the hoopla was for VB and C#.  I'm a C++ programmer and a lot of those tools would be nice to have in C++ but alas they seem to be relagating it to "yeah we kept it in there but who cares..." status.  All in all it was a good show and I did get some important info about vb6 migration.

Scott

Kindest Regards,

Scott Beckstead

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by abandoning it here at home!"
    Edward R. Murrow

scottbeckstead.com

• I attended the morning of the Pittsburgh event. The speaker did a great job, both with his presentation (and there were no breakout sessions here) and with a follow up question afterward. The crowd for the morning was around 280 people.

Robert

• The LA event had at least 4000 people at the Anaheim Convention Center.  We filled one of the big halls downstairs for the keynote and developers and the big hall upstairs for the DB breakouts.  What you actually get is a standard edition of VS 2005 and a standard SQL 2005 with one CAL (client access license)  that's about 700 bucks worth of free stuff.   The new stuff in VS 2005 is way cool and I do love the "varbinary" addition to the sql server. 

Scott

Kindest Regards,

Scott Beckstead

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by abandoning it here at home!"
    Edward R. Murrow

scottbeckstead.com

• I was wondering if you were there.  I thought the Data breakout sessions were pretty interesting.  Especially the first one.

• Regarding upgrading to 64bit, we've seen some massive performance increases here at work.  We've got a monthly process that on a 4 CPU Server with 16 Drives (mostly RAID 5) and 4G of RAM took 58hrs to complete.  On a 64bit implementation running 2 CPU's, 6G of RAM and get this...2HD's, it took under 6 hours.  The difference in CPU speed is fairly insignificant.

We've also put together a distributed processing system that allows a server to send work to multiple clients that offered dramatic performance improvements as well.  We're currently in the process of putting together a 64bit distributed processing test to see how fast things can really go.

Of the tests we've done so far, 64bit has shown to be well worth the upgrade effort.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply