Sql Server 2005 June CTP installation problem

• Hi, I am trying to install sql server 2005 June CTP and i am getting the fallowing error 'sql server 2005 CTP setup has detected incompatible beta components from visual studio or sql server. You must run Build cleanup wizard...........'. I used to have April CTP and I Uninstalled it. I have not installed any Visual Studio beta versions. So if I run the Build Cleanup Wizard it finds nothing. But the install still thinks I have old beta compnents. Can you guys please help me?

Thank You

-u

• Sometimes the cleanup can get very complicated don't you think?  When you ran the cleanup wizard did you use the April version or the June version?  Try the other one.  I noticed that one of them does not find the beta 2.0 framework and the other one does.

Even after uninstalling with the standard utility there are still a number of components that have to come out - and they have to come out in a pretty particular order.  That last screen that pops up has those instructions if I'm not mistaken.

Next I would go through add/remove programs in the control panel and see if anything obvious is still there.  Specifically, look for the beta framework.  It will get reinstalled with the newer CTP; but it has to come off first unfortunately.

My last pass through found SQL Server and SQL Server Agent were installed; but they were not.  I tried removing the service from a command prompt wiht "SC DELETE <service name>" and it failed saying that they were not there, so I had to resort to the registry and manually delete those.  This is very dangerous and each service must be deleted at multiple places.  Backups are pretty important and instead of telling you were to look for the entries, use the "find" facility to get them all.  I think they were in four places in the registry.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

david russell

• The MSDN download site lists everything that you have to uninstall in the required order.

• at the SQL Server Roadshow they said that there are order dependencies for the June CTP, it should be installed on a clean box and then install the APRIL Visual Studio CTP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply