SQL Server 2005 license question

• I have an odd question:

I have an enterprise license that is not being used. All the production systems I have run standard edition. I have a dev instance and test instance on one system running standard edition. I am getting another production system that will only need standard edition. Can I run standard edition on a system and use an Enterprise license? I am guessing no, but does anybody know for sure. I didn't find the answer I was looking for on Microsoft's site.

Thank you in advance.

• Since Enterprise is an upgrade from Standard, you should be able to use that without any problems. Call/e-mail MS customer support if you need their exact answer on it, but it shouldn't be a problem.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Just out of curiosity, why would you not want to take advantage of the Enterprise features and install Standard if you have already paid the money?

• yes you should be able to use it as you have already paid out for the upgrade. I would still check with MS on this call them to find out.

Regards,

Terry

• The enterprise license was a partnership license. Management does not want to run a different edition on test/dev/production. It would be pointed at if anything goes wrong. I don't want to have an ? marks between environments.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply