SQL Server 2005 Maintenance Plans

• Hi Guys,

This may have been asked before given the issues many people seem to have had with maintenance plans in 2005 but my searches have found much to help.

I have inherited a SQL Server 2005 farm

6 Servers all 2005 RTM

Each with multiple instances

Each named instance has two maintenance plans specific to User databases and System database. These plans have the same names eg

SRV1\Inst1 DBA - User DB Maintenance

DBA - System DB Maintenance

SRV1\Inst2 DBA - User DB Maintenance

My problems arise when I want export\import these packages using a connection to Integration Services. I understand that IS package details stored on SQL Server (rather than FileSystem) will be stored on the default instance of SQL (msdb) but what I don't understand is why I only see ONE set of maintenance plans through Integration Services eg

DBA - User DB Maintenance

with no indication of which instance they are for. When I add them to an IS project in Visual Studio they look like the first maintenance plans to be created but with all tasks disabled (this is not the case).

Oh and each maintenance plan runs succesfully

Any help appreciated

Chris

• I haven't messed with the maintenance plans much in BIDS, but you should be able to open them in SSMS, under the Management folder. There is a subset of SSIS there specifically geared towards maintenance plans, and they should all be editable for each instance.

I have had issues if I open them in BIDS and then save them, not being able to open them in SSMS.

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/8/2008)

I haven't messed with the maintenance plans much in BIDS, but you should be able to open them in SSMS, under the Management folder. There is a subset of SSIS there specifically geared towards maintenance plans, and they should all be editable for each instance.

Unfortunately accross my instances the maintenance plans are editable from the Object Explorer\Management\Maintenance Plan of each instance, but when you go Object Explorer\Stored Packages\MSDB\Maintenance Plans of a SSIS connection I only see 1 set of plans (this is the only place to import and export plans in SSMS.....i think)

Chris

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply