SQL Server 2005 max memory and /3GB switch

• ok, still some conflicting info... so can you help me with this specific..

Currently have 4GB RAM - SQL using around 1.6/7GB on each node.

Installing 8Gb on each node.

What settings do i need to enable to ensure all functionality of SQL can use additonal memory not just buffer cache etc?

/3GB /PAE , AWE , Min & Max Server Memory

Does anyone know about this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834628 - When you run Microsoft SQL Server on a Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based computer, data that is saved to the SQL Server database may be corrupted ?

Oraculum

• 1.7GB is the standard x32 memory used when no switches are enabled. with 8gb of ram I'd advise you forget the 3gb switch and enable awe and set sql server to use 4gb of memory max. You may be able to squeeze more depends on what else is running and what else is configured on your o/s and box.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• that kb is pre sp1 - you should be running sp2 with all the rollups + the fixes for rdp, large file copies ( registry change ) and look out for hp lights out if you're using hp kit. You should also be at at least cu6 for sql server 2005 sp2 ( fixes memory issues )

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• colin Leversuch-Roberts (6/23/2008)

that kb is pre sp1 - you should be running sp2 with all the rollups + the fixes for rdp, large file copies ( registry change ) and look out for hp lights out if you're using hp kit. You should also be at at least cu6 for sql server 2005 sp2 ( fixes memory issues )

HI, for the less savvy what is "cu6 for sql server 2005 SP2"

The reason I ask is because I am also not clear on what to do for my production server.

I have a server with

WIN 2003 Server Standard

4GB Memory

SQL uses 1.72GB memory and then things slow down for some queries.

I want to be able to use 3GB memory max to test these issues.

Can someone please clear up my steps to take?

A) Set the boot.ini file switch /3GB

OR

B) set AWE

I noticed when I set AWE the memory seemed to be consumed very slowly and processes took a long time.

I set AWE, restarted the server, ran a process that should consume memory but it consumed it very slowly.

Disabled AWE, restarted, ran same process and it ran much quicker and SQL consumed the memory faster (as I expected)

Can someone please tell me simply how to get 3GB (2.7) dedicated to my SQL server.

PS no other processes run on this server, it is dedicated to SQL and the DB.

Many thanks all...

• HI, for the less savvy what is "cu6 for sql server 2005 SP2"

Hi I know that cu - culumulative update, but how do I identify this in the installation please.

Thanks again.

• Don't enable AWE with only 4 GB memory. Enable the /3GB switch in boot.ini.

As for the cumulative updates, run SELECT @@Version and compare the version number to the very comprehensive list that Steve's maintaining here. Search through the articles for his build list. Should be easy to find

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • nlion84DBA (10/24/2007)

Hello

Is it also true that you must be running SQL Server 2005 EE in order to take advantage of the space available by using PAE? Standard Edition cannot use it?

this only applies to 64 bit sql server, 32 bit is fine

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply