SQL Server 2005 Not Recognizing a newly added SAN Drive

• We have an active/passive SQL 2005 cluster in which the physical drives are on a SAN. The cluster sees the drives as a physical resource without issue, however, SQL Server does not see a newly created drive at all. i went to modify my maintenance job to write the backups to the new drive and it is not available for selection at all. I have not yet rebooted nor failed over the cluster. Any suggestions?

• I think it works both way either on a cluster or not. The new san drive won't be visible until you reboot or fail-over to the other side.

Sopheap

• Hope you've not added your new SAN drive in SQL group in Cluster Administrator.

• After adding a new drive to a cluster (both nodes, right?), then you have to add the drive to the cluster using Cluster Administrator as a resource in your SQL Group.

The next step requires a downtime - because you have to take SQL Server offline using Cluster Administrator and add the drive to SQL Server as a dependency. When you bring SQL Server back on-line, it will see the drive.

Now, if all you are going to be doing is using this for your backups, you can do that by adding the resource to your SQL Group and then create a share and add the share to your SQL Group. For backups, you can now reference that drive through the share (e.g. \\yoursqlserver\sharename\...

Jeff

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply