SQL Server 2005 Questions

• Hello,

I've few queries about sql server 2005 can anyone help me in giving answers to them.

1. In 2000 we have SQLSTP.LOG in C:\Winnt\ directory for installation related error. where can I find such log file for 2005?

2. In sql server whenever blocking happens, how can I find the root blocker?

3. In sql server 2005 how can I know the version of my server? i.e. service pack etc. I used select @@version and it gave below output

"Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.1399.06 (Intel X86) Oct 14 2005 00:33:37 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)"

How can I know from this number that which service pack I've on my server.

Rohit

• And few more things.....

5. How should I know that I need to rebuild the indexes....I mean is their any command for this....to know the index fragmentation etc.

6. If I run DBCC CHECKDB and it gives some errors....Like some data page missing etc....then How to resolve that......

Rohit

• 1. In 2000 we have SQLSTP.LOG in C:\Winnt\ directory for installation related error. where can I find such log file for 2005? Installation log is still under the very same folder c:\winnt

2. In sql server whenever blocking happens, how can I find the root blocker? You need to use trace files 1204, 1205, etc to find the blocking related errors and root cause

3. In sql server 2005 how can I know the version of my server? i.e. service pack etc. I used select @@version and it gave below output

"Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.1399.06 (Intel X86) Oct 14 2005 00:33:37 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)" 1399 IS RTM you are yet to apply a service pack in your sql server

5. How should I know that I need to rebuild the indexes....I mean is their any command for this....to know the index fragmentation etc.

You need to check for the fragmentation using the help of index related DMVs the query is there in MS site and books onlie which can be directly used.

6. If I run DBCC CHECKDB and it gives some errors....Like some data page missing etc....then How to resolve that......

Go for the restoration of backup that you have already taken on that database. YOu can also do a DBCC CHECKDB with repair but the chances are that it might help you only little.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• You can search and find these answers, or ask them individually. There is a build list on this site with build numbers. There are scripts for root blockers, and if you get errors, there are no easy ways to resolve. You have to call Microsoft.

• Traceflags 1204 and 1205 are for finding deadlocks, not blocking chains

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply