sql server 2005 std edition clustering

• Based upon this statement

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition (32-bit or 64-bit)

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition supports up to two nodes in a failover cluster.

If I have an Win 2003 Active Passive cluster for SQl Server 2005 Std Edition. I can have two active instances on Physical Server A which could fail over to Physical Server B. Or is the reference to 2 nodes means I get an active instance and the other (2nd) instance is the failover?

• it means you can only have 2 physical nodes. You can run as many instances as you want on it, but you can only have 2 physical machines in the cluster.

• That's what I am trying to confirm. So if I have instance1 and instance 2 on the active node, and that node dies, the passive node will pick up both the instance1 and instance2.

• Thats right.I have a Standard ed 32 bit 2 node cluster,where i have each node running one active instance.In case Node A fails,Node B will have 2 active instances running on it.

So basically you can theoritically have upto 16 SQL instances on each node(someone correct me if i am wrong),which can failover to the other node in case of a node failure.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply