SQL Server 2005 Upgrade Advisor

• Hi,

I have just downloaded (today) an installed the SQL Server 2005 Upgrade Advisor with a view to checking out a number of databases which are still set to 2000 compatibly levels.

When I try to connect to my server I get the following message, which surprises me as it is 2005 SP2.

SQL Server version: 09.00.3042 is not supported by this release of Upgrade Advisor.

Does anyone know if there is an upgrade to the Advisor suite? I have checked the web site but there is nothing obvious.

Many Thanks

• I think the upgrade advisor will only connect to instances of sql server 2000. I.e it won't connect to a 2005 instance even if it hosts databases that are at compatability mode 80.

Gethyn Elliswww.gethynellis.com

• Hi,

Yes that was one of my conclusions thanks. Horse and Stable door spring to mind! 🙂

• You could try using the 2008 Upgrade Advisor which will run against a SQL 2005 intance. It's available for download here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=F5A6C5E9-4CD9-4E42-A21C-7291E7F0F852&displaylang=en. I haven't tried it yet, but I have the same situation as Ronald i.e. version 8.0 databases in a SQL 2005 instance, so I'm thinking of giving it a go.

Greg

• Another option you have is catching trace log from your database and running it through the SQL Server Upgrade Advisor :).

In some cases actually that is needed if you have in-line application SQL coding ... as I am cursed with :angry:.

Soo much SQL 6.5 code to go through ... it will be death of me I tell yaa LOL.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• Hi Greg, Thanks for the reply. I had thought about using the 2008 Advisor but I was not sure how many false positives it might give me, although it might be worth the exercise from an experience point of view, and maybe this time I will be ahead of those who simply make the decision to upgrade.

Hi Mohit, thanks for your reply, although I am not quite sure what you mean by a trace log? Are you talking about a profile trace and if so how do I feed that through the advisor?

Many Thanks

• Hi,

To test the system against SQL Server Profiler Trace Log (I thought I was able to run this against just trace log, I was wrong .. 🙁 You have to still connect to a SQL Server before you can select trace log)...

First Capture Trace Log using the Replay Template.

After starting SQL Server Upgrade Advisor ..

- Select a SQL Server 2000 Server

- Select a database in question

- Select trace log to analyize

Mohit.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].

* I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

• Hi Mohit,

If I understand you correctly I capture a Replay Profiler trace to a table either directly onto an SQL 2000 server or import it afterward.

Then I can connect to the 2000 server and once I have the Advisor connected I can select the trace table. I have never got the Advisor connected, so I have never seen this option.

I will give this go.

Thanks.:)

• You'll have to capture the trace log to a file I don't see an option there to tell the trace log is in a table.. thanks.

[font="Arial"]---

• Hi Mohit,

Right got you. I have just made a connection from the Advisor to an SQL instance and there is an option to analyse a profile trace file. Ok, I will see how it works and post back my finds.

Many thanks for the help.

Ron:D

• The analyse trace file facilty doesn't really help as you still need to be able to connect to the database you want to check on a 2000 server which is my problem as I no longer have a 2000 server that I can restore the databases back on. So back to the drawing board.

I will have to try Greg's idea and use the 2008 Advisor and see what that throws up.

:unsure:

• Sorry :(. I realized that after I posted it..

You can also refernece this document to see possible risks:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178653(SQL.90).aspx

This article lists the issues you can run into ...

Thanks.

[font="Arial"]---

• No problem, at least I have a bit more view on the subject. Thanks for the link but I had already seen that.

I am going to script the objects over onto a small VM server running 2000 and run the analyser that way.

I am pretty certain that there aren't any issues but its a live box. Did you say test server, whats one of those? 😎

• I have run into some annoying issues when chaning compatibility mode from 80 to 90. But nothing major; how I did it on one of major systems I deal with is in the test enviornment change the compatibility mode to 90 and let the user do their work on it of about month or so with no issues then I changed it in Production.

Thanks.

Mohit.

[font="Arial"]---

• Hi,

Just thought I would update you on how I got on with the Advisor. I had to script the objects onto a smaller 2000 instance before I could run the Advisor as opposed to running against a 2000 compliant DB on a SQL 2005 server.

Mind you having seen what it checks I can understand why.

For once I think MS have produced something that is useful. The Report is produced did not surprise me and I was aware of many of the issues it raised, most of them to do with various management tools that I have created over the years making use of system tables and undocumented procedures.

So thanks for your help and hopefully I can get the DB's 2005 compliant asap.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply