SQL server 2008 database management

• Hi,

I am not a DBA. I have used previously SQL server 2005 to just connect through perl and execute query. I was never involved in creating and maintaining the database. But, now I need to work on it. I have SQL server 2008 installed on my machine. It shows me attached option under program files.

I am very new to creation of new database and its access rights. I think the installation creates default database on the server. When I go and clicked on SQL server management studio, then connect to server, it shows me local machine name under server name. Then I choose windows authentication (as I do not know any account to log in for SQL server authentication). I was able to log in and got four database there namely master, model, msdb, tempdb. Then I tried to create a new database, but after execution I got the error 'CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.'.

This might sound a basic question, but I really do not know how to proceed here. Appreciate any help here and lead to any good tutorial for this.

Thanks,

Amit

• My first thought was to question what server level rights you have? What fixed server roles are you is? Sysadmin? DBCreator? None? If you don't have some higher level right you can't create a database, no normal user can..

CEWII

• First thing, Did you do the installation of sql server 2008. and are you an admin user on your machine and what is the OS of your machine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• I did not install the SQL server. It was installed by other team. I do not know any account exists for me or not. What I would like to know, is there any default account created for user/admin after installation, which I can try?

Thanks,

Amit

• You can try "sa" account with the password entered while installation but only if it was specified that MSSQL uses "SQL Server Authentification". Try contacting the one who installed it.

----------

StarWind Software developer ( http://www.starwindsoftware.com )

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply