SQL Server 2008 installation - access level needed

• My company's crack IT Security staff have proudly "locked-down" the entire corporation's computers to ensure that very little actual work gets done other than email spamming and surfing the web. I work remotely so I have to VPN to the network where my servers exist. That works fine and I have SQL 2008R2 loaded on the servers.

I am trying to load the developer edition of SQL 2008 on my laptop to use it for staging data to be uploaded to the servers. The IT police will only grant me the ability to do the "Run Elevated" option on the setup.exe install program on the DVD. The install requires a reboot which hoses up my "Run Elevated" status when it comes back up. Also, I do not have (ain't allowed) an actual user account on the laptop.

Any ideas? I've installed this thing on numerous "unmolested" laptops with no troubles.

Doug Brashear

• dbrashear (12/30/2010)

My company's crack IT Security staff have proudly "locked-down" the entire corporation's computers to ensure that very little actual work gets done other than email spamming and surfing the web. I work remotely so I have to VPN to the network where my servers exist. That works fine and I have SQL 2008R2 loaded on the servers.

I am trying to load the developer edition of SQL 2008 on my laptop to use it for staging data to be uploaded to the servers. The IT police will only grant me the ability to do the "Run Elevated" option on the setup.exe install program on the DVD. The install requires a reboot which hoses up my "Run Elevated" status when it comes back up. Also, I do not have (ain't allowed) an actual user account on the laptop.

Any ideas? I've installed this thing on numerous "unmolested" laptops with no troubles.

Ask Security Team to install/setup a "trusted installs" folder in your laptop - that would allow you to install even if you do not have admin rights on the computer.

By the way... chances are Security Team will go bersek if they get to know you are staging production data in a laptop 😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Thanks, Pablo.

This is not a customer-facing system. Its just R&D, but you are right about them getting their bowels in an uproar.

Doug Brashear

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply