SQL SERVER 2008 LOGS

• Hi,

I'm new to sql administration, and am using sql server 2008 r2.

I'm wondering what logs I need to be checking on a daily basis as some users are saying their database is getting slower.

IS there much I can do to increase operation?

Regards

• Hi,

When performance is (slowly) dropping, you'll hardly find any information in any of the Windows or SQL logs. Entries in these logs are more related to (succesful or failed) events that occur and not to the performance of actions.

There is an article on this site (http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Performance+Tuning/71001/) that will give you a start of where to look if performance starts to become an issue. Don't forget to look at the additional articles stated at the end.

But even before looking at performance issues you should have a baseline of the 'normal' performance. Then you can check the current performance against the baseline to see if the feeling of the user is correct or not.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • You need to check logs for issues, mainly that you don't have 823/824/825 errors or high severity errors.

IF the database seems to be going slower, likely you have indexing issues or code problems. You'll have to look at specifics in terms of what's slow or fast, as these are relative terms. Examine specific queries to determine why they are slow. Then with a number of these, examine indexing to determine if you can create indexes that will help performance.

• Thanks for the advice guys I will check it out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply