SQL Server 2008 Maintenance Cleanup Task Issue

• i can't get the Maintenance cleanup task to work in SQL Server 2008 (Enterprise Edition)

The step is completing successfully but it is not deleting the files in the folders (and sub folders specified)

it is not related to the file extension as i am using bak (not .bak)

it is not related to not having the back slash in my directory, i am using (S:\SqlBackups\

it is not related to permissions on the folder as i temporarily gave full control to 'everyone' and the backups were still not deleted.

i am folllowing the same steps i use in both SQL 2005 and SQL 2008 R2 and there is no issue with either of them

Any help apprecicated.

• brunm (12/15/2010)

i can't get the Maintenance cleanup task to work in SQL Server 2008 (Enterprise Edition)

The step is completing successfully but it is not deleting the files in the folders (and sub folders specified)

it is not related to the file extension as i am using bak (not .bak) ---this is correct

it is not related to not having the back slash in my directory, i am using (S:\SqlBackups\ --- seems to run either way with or with out on mine

it is not related to permissions on the folder as i temporarily gave full control to 'everyone' and the backups were still not deleted.

i am folllowing the same steps i use in both SQL 2005 and SQL 2008 R2 and there is no issue with either of them

Any help apprecicated.

nothing in the job log i take it?

are you running the job under a domain user account or sql server account....I am reaching I know...but its sounds like you have everything set up right....so just guesing

• Both the Job History and Maintenance Plan History is reporting success with no errors

• i have faced this type of problem....deleted old maintenance plan and create new maintenance plan....

now its working properly fine....

• Are you - perhaps - using a third-party backup utility?

Another thing to validate...is the include sub-folders box checked? If so, are the backups in a sub-folder under that folder?

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks naresh.talla,

i created a seperate Maintenance Plan task to just Clean up the History and this seems to work.

Don't know why the other one does not work as it was created from scratch.

• I'm having the same problem. The Cleanup Task doesn't delete the files, but it report success.

• Hi,

I created a bran new CleanUp task but it still will not delete the backups.

I have tried all the suggestions here.

Thanks,

bill

• Find the Sql server agent job that the maintenance plan created. It should be the same name with a . subplan after it.

Right click and Look at the history. It there are no errors, then I would say create a new one.....set up something REALLY simple for a test.

make sure your path under looks like ...

FOLDER Z:\DBbackups

maybe its something simple as the slashes going the wrong direction.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply