SQL Server 2008 Package Migration Wizard Error

• Hello All,

I have installed SQL 2008 Client tools on my PC (Windows XP SP2). When I try to open 'Package Migration Wizard, from BIDS/SSMS/DTSMigrationWizard.exe, it fails with the error "ERROR: The package migration wizard requires Integration Sevices to be installed by one of these editions of SQL server 2008: Standard, Enterprise, Developer, or Evaluation. To install Integration Services, run SQL Server Setup and select Integration Services." (Screenshot attached).

I was getting similar error when I was trying to create a SSIS project/ Package using BIDS. It was a known bug and was fixed in SP1. After upgrading the Client tools to SP1, this issue was fixed, how ever the above issue with Package migration wizard still exists.

Any help in resolving this is highly appreciated, thanks.

• Hello All,

I have installed SQL 2008 Client tools on my PC (Windows XP SP2). When I try to open 'Package Migration Wizard, from BIDS/SSMS/DTSMigrationWizard.exe, it fails with the error "ERROR: The package migration wizard requires Integration Sevices to be installed by one of these editions of SQL server 2008: Standard, Enterprise, Developer, or Evaluation. To install Integration Services, run SQL Server Setup and select Integration Services." (Screenshot attached).

I was getting similar error when I was trying to create a SSIS project/ Package using BIDS. It was a known bug and was fixed in SP1. After upgrading the Client tools to SP1, this issue was fixed, how ever the above issue with Package migration wizard still exists.

Any help in resolving this is highly appreciated, thanks.

• I had a similar issue.

I have SQL 2005 Standard Edition, SQL 2008 Express with Advanced Services, VS2005, VS2008 installed on my machine. When I would try to deploy a SSISDeploymentManifest to the server I would get the error you described but in the Package Installation Wizard. After unsuccessfully searching for a service pack or hotfix to resolve this I right-clicked the SSISDeploymentManifest file and went to "Open With". To my surprise there were 2 "SQL Server 2005 Integration Services Package Installation Utility" executables. I selected the second one (not the default) and it worked great.

I hope that helps you.

• Thanks Prophat247 - had the exact same issue and I was bordering on panic when I found your post. Spot on.

Had a quick peek in the registry on my machine and the 1st entry was pointing to version 10 (2008) and second to version 9 (2005).

• I am getting the same error using SQL 2008R2 and SQL 2005.

Could you specify where I can locate the SSISDeploymentManifest file or the specified registry entries. Thanks.

• Open up regedit (carefully 🙂 ) and search for 'SSISDeploymentManifest' and below that one of the folders will be 'OpenWithProgids' in which you can see what's been called.

Hope this helps.

• Prophat247 (6/9/2010)

I had a similar issue.

I have SQL 2005 Standard Edition, SQL 2008 Express with Advanced Services, VS2005, VS2008 installed on my machine. When I would try to deploy a SSISDeploymentManifest to the server I would get the error you described but in the Package Installation Wizard. After unsuccessfully searching for a service pack or hotfix to resolve this I right-clicked the SSISDeploymentManifest file and went to "Open With". To my surprise there were 2 "SQL Server 2005 Integration Services Package Installation Utility" executables. I selected the second one (not the default) and it worked great.

I hope that helps you.

This sounds a bit easier than editing the registry. Where might I find this file to right-click on?

I did search the registy and found 'SSISDeploymentManifest' a few times but nothing with a subfolder 'OpenWithProgids' . Could you provide the registry chain where you found this value?

Also I am having the same issue as the OP (error when selecting migration wizard), not during deployment. Not sure if this makes a difference. Thanks again.

• The manifest file is located in your DeploymentOutputPath. Go the the properties of your project and select "Deployment Utility" to see the path.

As far as the registry changes...why don't you just right click on the manifest file and select "Open With" then "Choose Program" and set the default program there?

• I can't seem to find that file or directory. This is a new SQL 2008 IS Project and I don't use a utility to delpoy. So I don't think these folders/file are created by default unless you are using a utility. I only get the error when selecting "Migrate DTS 2000 package".

In fact, forget about BIDS all together. You can also migrate by selecting "Data Transformation Services" under "Legacy" in SSMS, and selecting "Migration Wizard". I get the same error as the OP using this method as well.

I'm sure other people are having this issue. Thanks.

• Hi all, I got the solution. We need to install "Run-time Support for DTS Packages" from the Microsoft site. Please find the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=B33D2C78-1059-4CE2-B80D-2343C099BCB4&displaylang=en

scroll to Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility Components and download the correct package. During the setup select the "Data Transformations Services 2000 runtime".

Diego

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply