SQL SERVER 2008 Pivot

• Why do you still include the local temporary table #sipDimensionPos in your solution? If you were creating it as a filtered subset of the table from which it is derived (i.e. with a WHERE clause), then it would make sense, but there's no filter...

Does it run?

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Ok I´m a little bit lost. So the temporary table was created just for say, the problem resolution, something didactic. Your rigth there is no filtering a subset of the table. Again plese check this, I removed the whole bunch of temporary table.

--===== Create a table variable to store the id_CliPadre

DECLARE @PivotCliPadres VARCHAR(1000)

SELECT @PivotCliPadres = COALESCE(

@PivotCliPadres + ',[' + cast(id_CliPadre as varchar) + ']',

'[' + cast(id_CliPadre as varchar)+ ']')

FROM (

SELECT id_CliPadre

FROM dbo.sipDimensionPos

GROUP BY id_CliPadre

) d

ORDER BY d.id_CliPadre

-- check

--SELECT @PivotCliPadres

--===== Execute the pivot with a table variable

DECLARE @PivotTableSQL NVARCHAR(MAX)

SET @PivotTableSQL = N'

SELECT *

FROM (select codigo_item, item, round(net_price,1) as net_price, id_CliPadre, id_stock from dbo.sipFTdataStage INNER JOIN

dbo.sipDimensionPos ON dbo.sipFTdataStage.id_cliente = dbo.sipDimensionPos.id_cliente) tabla

pivot (

sum(net_price) for id_CliPadre IN (

' + @PivotCliPadres + '

)

) pivotable

print (@PivotTableSQL)

EXECUTE(@PivotTableSQL)'

• However once executed I receive this message:

"Command(s) completed successfully."

How do I query the pivoted data?

• You have a closing quotation mark in the wrong place

print (@PivotTableSQL)

EXECUTE(@PivotTableSQL)' -- <-- closing quotation mark in the wrong place

which means that the PRINT statement and the EXECUTE statement are appended to the string @PivotTableSQL, instead of being executed. Put it back in the right place, which you can find from an earlier post where you successfully ran the dynamic sql query.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Yes, you´re great, it works, I get a pivoted datagrid. Thanks a lot. How do I award you. I´m grateful with you!!

• A squash from your nice terracotta tiled roof 😉

Top work, Jorge. It's good to work with a poster who's prepared to put in some effort, as you have always.

• Thank´s Chris, really learned and enjoyed. Thanks for asking me to give a little bit and not just ask for the solution.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply