Sql server 2008 Query Editor

• Hi

I am Newbie to SQL server 2008, My current environment is in sql 2000, We have different access levels set up in 2000 using AD on window 2003 platform. We have groupings for Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer, My question is can the same be done in SQL server 2008 ? can the two be separated?

• Not really since both have been rolled into a single tool. But in reality if you have access to Query Analyzer you can do almost everything that Enterprise Manager can do.. You need to be more worried about what rights they have in SQL as opposed to what tools.

CEWII

• Thank you for the response and I do Agree, I know in principle it is not possible but I was hoping for a work around. I know we could govern our users with rights as in read and write where focus it what the users are allow to write, but what about the users that we only want to provide read access to a particular function. Or would it still be best to get a third party application to facilitate this part as MS access, MS Query etc....

• I guess a lot depends on what you are trying to prevent. I don't like to use tools like Access because they generate queries that I don't like. So an understanding of you business requirements and goals can be helpful. Far too often I see companies say that they only want users see what they want them to see, that is fine, however they want to do this with the basic or provided tools, this often isn't. It often comes down to what you are really trying to accomplish, not what you really want..

CEWII

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply