SQL Server 2008 R2 backups with data compression

• We are currently only doing non compressed backups. I tried the SQL Server 2008 R2 Backup with compression and it was faster on Backups and Restores. It also only used a fraction of the disk space for the backup file. Has anyone had any negative issues using the compression option with SQL Server 2008 R2?

Thank you in advance,

Charlie

• We use it for full, differential, and transaction log backups, and have never had a problem with it.

• been using it for about 6 months with no issues.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thank you for the information Michael. I have discussed Differential backups with my manager in the past and I think I need to push for it again. Thanks again!

Charlie

• Thanks for the information George. This sounds very encouraging.

Charlie

• I have not heard about any issues with it. It's a fairly simple process and works well.

The third party tools do a better job of compression, but at the expense of CPU and also the cost of the tools.

• It was running for years with no issues at my previous employer.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Hi,

The backup compression is a great feature in SQL Server 2008.But since the backup of the database is in compressed state,it takes a longer time for the database to come online.One more thing is the compressed backups are not compatible with the previous versions of sql server.

Regards,

S.Srivathsani

• I am curious, what sort of compression rates do you get? i use 3rd party tools and get 70-80% compression.

• srivathsani-296624 (6/15/2011)

Hi,

The backup compression is a great feature in SQL Server 2008.But since the backup of the database is in compressed state,it takes a longer time for the database to come online.One more thing is the compressed backups are not compatible with the previous versions of sql server.

Regards,

S.Srivathsani

There are NEVER backward compatible.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply