SQL Server 2008 R2 Cluster Installation

• Hi,

I've got a 4 node Windows 2008 R2 cluster and I'm wanting to understand a little more about installing a SQL Server 2008 R2 cluster.

The Windows cluster I have is made up of the following servers:

Node1

Node2

Node3

Node4 (Will be Passive)

I am wanting to install a SQL Server Active/Active/Active/Passive configuration. I understand that I will need to run the setup.exe to "Install A Failover Cluster" on Node1, Node2 and Node3 to have 3 instances of SQL Server each running on the seperate Nodes.

The bit where I am confused is running setup.exe to "Add Node".

After running the setup.exe to "Install A Failover Cluster" on Node1, Node2 and Node3 I will have 3 SQL Server instances (A, B, C) up and running on Node1, Node2 and Node3 of the cluster respectively, so my questions are:

Can I just physically logon to Node1 and run "Add Node" on Node1 to add the SQL Server instance A to the cluster, then physically logon to Node2 and run "Add Node" on Node2 to add the SQL Server instance B to the cluster, and finally physically logon to Node3 and run "Add Node" on Node3 to add the SQL Server instance C to the cluster?

or

Do I have to run "Add Node" 3 times on each Node to add the SQL Server instances A, B, C to each Node?

What about the passive node (Node4) do I just need to run "Add Node" on this Node and do I have to run "Add Node" 3 times on this Node to add the SQL Server instances A, B, C?

Many thanks,

Chris

www.sqlAssociates.co.uk

• You only need to log in to the passive node (Node 4) and in the setup click "Add node to a SQL Server Failover cluster".

You will have to do this 3 times, one for each of the 3 SQL instances in your cluster that will fail over to the passive node.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• Chris Kitchen (11/4/2010)

Active/Active/Active/Passive configuration.

This is a misconception, a cluster is either Active\Active or Active\Passive!

Chris Kitchen (11/4/2010)

The bit where I am confused is running setup.exe to "Add Node".

Can I just physically logon to Node1 and run "Add Node" on Node1 to add the SQL Server instance A to the cluster, then physically logon to Node2 and run "Add Node" on Node2 to add the SQL Server instance B to the cluster, and finally physically logon to Node3 and run "Add Node" on Node3 to add the SQL Server instance C to the cluster?

or

Do I have to run "Add Node" 3 times on each Node to add the SQL Server instances A, B, C to each Node?

As already stated you will need to run add node 3 times on the passive server select one of the existing clustered instances each time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Have a look at this link:

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1721

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]

• I am doing the same 4 nodes sql cluster installation too. My question is on MSDTC. I know this requirs disk drive and ip address. Do I need just one MSDTC drive or do I need to have one for each active node? Some document say Windows 2008 R2 made it easier but I think it is more complicated. Thanks.

• isd83 (4/15/2011)

I am doing the same 4 nodes sql cluster installation too. My question is on MSDTC. I know this requirs disk drive and ip address. Do I need just one MSDTC drive or do I need to have one for each active node? Some document say Windows 2008 R2 made it easier but I think it is more complicated. Thanks.

In our environment - Windows 2008 R2, SQL 2008 SP2 - we have one dedicated MSDTC drive for each SQL instance.

That drive is a shared resource, so it can be failed over along with the drives containing the database files.

• you have required 1 DTC and 1 Qurum in Active\Passive,Microsoft is not providing till any load balancing solution in cluster which one you are saying ACTIVE\ACTIVE,NLB Server is there for Load Balancing, I didnt check Active\Active solution by microsoft,this is totally different to each other

Regards,

Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan

MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

Regards,
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Syed Jahanzaib Bin hassan (4/18/2011)

you have required 1 DTC and 1 Qurum in Active\Passive,Microsoft is not providing till any load balancing solution in cluster which one you are saying ACTIVE\ACTIVE,NLB Server is there for Load Balancing, I didnt check Active\Active solution by microsoft,this is totally different to each other

Regards,

Starting with Windows 2008, the Windows server system allows you to have multiple clustered MSDTC resources\groups.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Windows allow you but there is no need to make multiple resource group of the same MSDTC resource

Regards,

My Blog

http://www.aureus-salah.com

Regards,

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Actually there is a reason.

You just slap an MSDTC resource per SQL Server instance group. Each can be configured differently and will fail-over with their instance.

You don't really need a separate disk for MSDTC, put it on one of the disk used by the SQL instance.

Just make sure you set the dependency on the disk after you install the SQL cluster.

• Again starting with Windows 2008 you can map MSDTC resources to chosen cluster service groups although putting the MSDTC in the same group should enable it to be used by default

• MSDTC use for distributed transaction so its best to use a specific drive and i dont think you can use same disk for SQL instance binaries

if you define qurum drive then this will not show in the SQL Directory

if you define MSDTIC drive then this will not show in the SQL Directory

Regards,

My Blog

http://www.aureus-salah.com

Regards,

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• I get an warning when I install the sql cluster without having MSDTC. Can I add MSDTC later after I completed the sql installation and later?

• isd83 (4/21/2011)

I get an warning when I install the sql cluster without having MSDTC. Can I add MSDTC later after I completed the sql installation and later?

Yes you can

but MS strongly recommends doing it before.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlblog/archive/2006/10/06/msdtc-and-sql-server-on-a-cluster.aspx

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply