SQL server 2008 R2 enterprise Vs Evaluation edition

• Hi,

Is there any difference bteween SQL server 2008 R2 enterprise and Evaluation edition apart from the expiration? Anything that can be done on enterprise but is prevented in evaluation edition?

Ryan
    //All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them//

• No,

They are exactly the same with only the expiration date added.

Evaluation is to "test run" SQL server to see if it will meet your RDBMS needs, there for it has the Enterprise Edition features.

Regards...

• They are not exactly same. I found one disparity between them. After creating a policy in policy based management, I set the evaluation mode as 'on demand'. While enabling the policy I get the message " Evaluation mode 'On demand' does not support Enabled 'True'"

Ryan

• Can you please provide the details of the policy which you created?

• The policy will check if the autoshrink is off for all the databases. The scrpits and conditions are attached.

---condition

Declare @condition_id int

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_syspolicy_add_condition @name=N'Condition_name', @description=N'', @facet=N'Database', @expression=N'<Operator>

<TypeClass>Bool</TypeClass>

<OpType>EQ</OpType>

<Count>2</Count>

<Attribute>

<Name>AutoShrink</Name>

</Attribute>

<Function>

<FunctionType>False</FunctionType>

<ReturnType>Bool</ReturnType>

<Count>0</Count>

</Function>

</Operator>', @is_name_condition=0, @obj_name=N'', @condition_id=@condition_id OUTPUT

Select @condition_id

GO

----------Policy

Declare @object_set_id int

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_syspolicy_add_object_set @object_set_name=N'Policy_Name_ObjectSet', @facet=N'Database', @object_set_id=@object_set_id OUTPUT

Select @object_set_id

Declare @target_set_id int

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_syspolicy_add_target_set @object_set_name=N'Policy_Name_ObjectSet', @type_skeleton=N'Server/Database', @type=N'DATABASE', @enabled=True, @target_set_id=@target_set_id OUTPUT

Select @target_set_id

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_syspolicy_add_target_set_level @target_set_id=@target_set_id, @type_skeleton=N'Server/Database', @level_name=N'Database', @condition_name=N'', @target_set_level_id=0

GO

Declare @policy_id int

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_syspolicy_add_policy @name=N'Policy_Name', @condition_name=N'Condition_name', @execution_mode=0, @policy_id=@policy_id OUTPUT, @root_condition_name=N'', @object_set=N'Policy_Name_ObjectSet'

Select @policy_id

GO

Ryan

• Hi,

I played a bit with the code. The "enable" policy is only valid if you schedule your policy or if are looking at settings which can be set for On change:prevent/log only.

To execute the policy you created, open your registered servers(CTRL+ALT+G) in SSMS >> select or add the server you want to evaluate >> right click server name >> evaluate policies >> select the source where the policies are.

I tested this as I use SQL 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition, so this is not a limitation for SQL 2008 R2 Eval.

For more information on PBM see the following site:

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1492/using-policy-based-management-in-sql-server-2008/

And I recommend, if you are interested in Policy Based Management, to look at the following:

Pro Policy Based Management

and

Enterprise Policy Based Management[/url]

Regards...

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply