sql server 2008 service account queries

• Hi Guys,

instance name: mssqlserver2008

for testing purpose, i created 2 local user accounts - mssql_agent and mssql_engine.

When installing sql server, i indicate the startup account for sql agent to be mssql_agent and mssql server to be mssql_engine (can be verified via services.msc).

After installation, i found out in sql server --> security logins ---> nt service\mssql%mssqlserver2008 and nt service\sqlagentl%mssqlserver2008 and nt authority\system having sysadmin privileges.

I don't understand this. since i specify mssql_agent and mssql_engine as service account, why doesn't the 2 have sysadmin privileges? i only can see mssql_agent and mssql_engine is in users group.

and why does the 3 have sysadmin privileges and why is it needed?

nt service\mssql%mssqlserver2008

nt service\sqlagentl%mssqlserver2008

nt authority\system

kindly advise please.

thanks

• chewychewy (12/21/2012)

I don't understand this. since i specify mssql_agent and mssql_engine as service account, why doesn't the 2 have sysadmin privileges?

What i can understand here is that u have used these tow oaccount in services . btu you have to explicity give them sysadmin rights by yourself.

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• Hi,

thanks for ur help.

Seems like the 2 local accounts (service account) doesn't require sysadmin privileges in order for sql server to work.. is this normal?

Anyone else can advise please?

thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply