SQL Server 2008 SSIS Error - 32bit vs 64bit

• Hello,

We have a situation where we have a SQL Server 2008 SSIS package x64 that needs to be executed in 32bit runtime because the package is using MS Excel. With that said, the Run64BitRuntime value was set to false, and the 'Use 32 bit runtime' was set and we are still having issues executing this package. Below is the error we are receiving:

Description: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_OLEDBERROR. An OLE DB error has occurred. Error code: 0x8007007E. An OLE DB record is available. Source: "Microsoft OLE DB Service Components" Hresult: 0x8007007E Description: "The specified module could not be found."

I've done extensive research on this, and I'm failing to come up with a resolution. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Pete 🙂

• We have had the same issue here. From the searching I did this seems like a major flaw in backwards compatibility. I will be very interested to see if anyone has an answer to this. I also encountered similiar issues when I went to Windows 7.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• Contrary to your experience, I haven't had any "backwards compatibility" problems using Excel with SSIS in an x64 environment - be it 2003 server, 2008 server, Vista, or Windows 7.

To clarify - the "Run64BitRuntime" setting only applies when you're running interactively in BIDS. It has no effect when running with DTExec. (See SSIS in 32- and 64-bits.)

Second, the 32-bit checkbox I think you're referring to lends me to believe you're scheduling your jobs with SQL Agent.

Have you been able to run the package inside BIDS on the server? (Sometimes this isn't an option.)

Do you have the Office provider installed? (See links here: Interacting with Office in SSIS.)

Do other packages work on this server - packages that do use OLE DB connections, but not to Excel?

Todd McDermid - SQL Server MVP, MCSD.Net, MCTS (SQL08BI)
    Find great SSIS extensions - most are open source - at SSIS Community Tasks and Components[/url]
    Are you doing Data Warehouse ETL with SSIS? Don't use the slow SCD Wizard, use the Kimball Method SCD component instead.

• I guess I should note a distinction that may be ware the original post is catching the error as well.

If we create a brand new package then we have no issues at all.

However if we open an existing package and try to run in BIDS we get the error and we can not get the package to run with out the runtime.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• Todd McDermid (5/4/2010)

Contrary to your experience, I haven't had any "backwards compatibility" problems using Excel with SSIS in an x64 environment - be it 2003 server, 2008 server, Vista, or Windows 7.

To clarify - the "Run64BitRuntime" setting only applies when you're running interactively in BIDS. It has no effect when running with DTExec. (See SSIS in 32- and 64-bits.)

Second, the 32-bit checkbox I think you're referring to lends me to believe you're scheduling your jobs with SQL Agent.

Have you been able to run the package inside BIDS on the server? (Sometimes this isn't an option.)

Do you have the Office provider installed? (See links here: Interacting with Office in SSIS.)

Do other packages work on this server - packages that do use OLE DB connections, but not to Excel?

Hi Todd!

First off, I've been reading your blogs and they are very informative and right to the point! To answer your question, yes we are running the package via SQL Server Agent, and the server we are running the packages from is a stand alone SSIS server that is an Active/Active SQL Server 2008/Windows 2008 infrastructure. Other packages work on this machine that use OLE DB connections, but this is the first SSIS package we are migrating from SSIS 2205 to SSIS 2008 that uses MS Excel. I will check to see if the MS Office provider is installed and get back to you.

Thank you again,

Pete

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply