SQl Server 2008 to 2005 conversion

• Hi,

I have databases created in SQL Server 2008, but I need to restore these databases to SQL 2005. Can anybody guide me is there any way to restore databases from 2008 to 2005?

Thanks in advance,

Venky

• only logically, via SSIS or script out and BCP. restore ar attach won't work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Whooops... You generally can't restore a database from a newer SQL Server version to an older one because the system objects of the newer SQL Server database are incompatible with the older database engine. However, this does NOT necessarily mean that you can not copy USER data - only that you have to take a slightly different approach to doing so.

I'm thinking your best bet is to recreate the database on the 2005 instance and try to copy the user data through export/import or a BCP (Bulk Copy) utility. This should work, but it may need some tinkering.

Be sure to copy only USER objects and data. It's the SYSTEM objects that generally can't be "rolled backwards" onto an older SQL Server version.

Good luck!

Kind regards,

Vegard Hagen
    Norwegian DBA, occasional blogger and generally a nice guy who believes the world is big enough for all of us.
    @vegard_hagen on Twitter
    Blog: Vegards corner (No actual SQL stuff here - havent found my niche yet. Maybe some day...)

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. (Chinese proverb)
  • I tried the same once but got errors....I will do it again based on your sugestions....Thank you very much

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply