sql server 2012 - favorite new features?

• Hello - I just downloaded SS2012 Express to my personal laptop this weekend. I'd like to get familiar with some of the new features. What are your favorite new features of SS2012?

• The improvements in SSIS, Power View (new reporting tool), Data Quality Services and SSAS Tabular.

None of those are available in Express 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Always ON

Regards

S.R.Kundur

• The IIF function.

• It would be contained databases, if they were contained. Only the basis for it in 2012.

I do like the T-SQL enhancements. IIF and Window functions, but my favorite would be readable secondaries, and the ability to pick them with read-intent connections.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/6/2012)

I do like the T-SQL enhancements. IIF and Window functions, but my favorite would be readable secondaries, and the ability to pick them with read-intent connections.

I'm reading Itzik's book on Windowing functions right now, and there some pretty powerful stuff in there.

• The improvements in SSIS, Power View (new reporting tool), Data Quality Services and SSAS Tabular.

• Koen, you might want to get Developer Edition if you really want to check out the new features. I have a simple laptop with dual-core processor, 8 GB RAM, and a 500 GB SATA hard drive and it runs fine on there. If you're pinched for resources you can always set the services to manual and just run the ones you need at any given time.

As a Business Intelligence guy I am really enjoying the new SSIS features. I haven't used them yet but the Column Store Indexes and Tabular Data Model both have me excited.

[font="Tahoma"]Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD[/font]
    Business Intelligence Administrator
    MSBI Administration Blog

• Tatsu (7/15/2012)

Koen, you might want to get Developer Edition if you really want to check out the new features. I have a simple laptop with dual-core processor, 8 GB RAM, and a 500 GB SATA hard drive and it runs fine on there. If you're pinched for resources you can always set the services to manual and just run the ones you need at any given time.

As a Business Intelligence guy I am really enjoying the new SSIS features. I haven't used them yet but the Column Store Indexes and Tabular Data Model both have me excited.

I already have Developer edition. What makes you think I hadn't?

• Koen Verbeeck (7/16/2012)

I already have Developer edition. What makes you think I hadn't?

Sorry, I didn't scroll all the way to the top. My reply was intended for sqlguy-736318.

[font="Tahoma"]Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD[/font]
    Business Intelligence Administrator
    MSBI Administration Blog

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply