SQL Server 2012 standard edition on >2 node cluster

• I have an environment with three SQL instances running an application. Two of the instances are enterprise edition and one is standard. I am looking to move all instances up to SQL Server 2012 and hoping to put them on a 3 node Windows Failover Cluster. I understand that standard edition is limited to two nodes. What I want to know is what my options are?

Can install standard edition on the cluster but only on two of the three nodes?

Do I need to create a second Windows Cluster? Is this even possible?

• Yes, you can put Standard Edition on a 3-node Windows cluster, but you can only install the SE SQL cluster on two of the nodes.

Alternatively you can install two instances of Enterprise Edition on all three nodes.

Also, be aware that the SQL Licensing that allows you to have an Active and a Passive node covered by the same license just covers a single passive instance. If you install EE on three nodes, my understanding is you need licensing for two of the nodes even though you are running Active/Passive/Passive. If you do not already have licensing for two active nodes then you should talk to your license reseller before committing to something that may have unexpected costs.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I think there was a change in the licensing recently. Under SQL 2014 licensing, you need to buy SA (Software Assurance) for the passive failover node(s). I am not sure you can still buy 2012 licenses, so be sure to check with your reseller.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply