SQL Server 2012 upgrade broke Linked Server (MS DTC)

• We just upgraded our dev SQL Servers from 2008R2 to 2012 SP3 and our linked servers stopped working. The two servers in question were both updated and rebooted several times throughout the process. I've validated DTC is up and running on both servers. I've regenerated Master Keys on both servers. I've dropped and recreated the Linked Server both before and after regenerating the keys. R-click, Test Connection on the linked server "succeeded" but when I run a simple SELECT..FROM I get "Msg 8522, Level 16, State 3, Line 3 Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC) has stopped this transaction." Any ideas?

Thanks,

Nate

@nate_hughes
  • Permissions still active on the sqlJDBCXAUser role?

• daniel.hughes 66721 (2/16/2016)

Permissions still active on the sqlJDBCXAUser role?

That role didn't/doesn't exist since XA transactions aren't enabled on either server. Is this something that needs to enabled in 2012 which did not in 2008R2?

@nate_hughes
  • OK, it works if I wrap it in a distributed transaction. Is there something new to 2012 I'm missing that would let me configure this?

This works:

BEGIN DISTRIBUTED TRAN;

SELECT SomeColumn

FROM SomeServer.SomeDB.SomeSchema.SomeTable

WHERE SomeOtherColumn = 1;

ROLLBACK TRAN;

This doesn't:

SELECT SomeColumn

FROM SomeServer.SomeDB.SomeSchema.SomeTable

WHERE SomeOtherColumn = 1;

@nate_hughes
  • OK, threw enough crap at the wall I finally got something to stick: drop and recreate linked server using SQLNCLI11 driver instead of SQLNCLI10.

However, would still like to know why 'BEGIN DISTRIBUTED TRANSACTION' worked and 'SELECT..FROM' did not.

@nate_hughes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply