SQL Server 2012/14 - crisis - cannot connect - please help

• Hi,

Bit of a crisis. I have a laptop which had SQL Server 2012 Developer installed.

I ran an install for SQL Server 2014 Standard which ran ok (this was because I was trying to upgrade the Data Tools SSDT), but the problem was that a couple of databases showed as "Suspect".

This was because I had created some features using 2012 Developer, for example "ColumnStore indexes".

Obviously, Standard edition will not be compatible with some features of Developer as Developer is equivalent to Enterprise.

So these 2 databases were unusable.

So I decided to uninstall 2014 to revert back to 2012 and approach from a different angle.

However, after I did this and tried to connect to the local database, I get a connectivity issue - see attached error.

I states it cannot find a file.

The problem I have is I didn't make any backups of the local databases so I MUST be able to connect to this database.

Can anyone advise where to start?

If you need any further information please ask.

Thanks,

Dunc

• You'll need to go to backups of those databases, and backups taken when they were still 2012. You can't simply downgrade the database. When you did the upgrade, they were changed to SQL Server 2014 databases.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Hi Grant,

Like I said, the problem is I didn't take backups (this was just a test server).

Within the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA folder I do have the MDF and LDF files for each database though.

Obviously the MSSQL12 folder is no longer there after the uninstall; there is only a MSRS12 folder for reporting services remaining.

I've attached a screenshot of folders available on local C drive.

I tried reinstalling 2014 Standard but I get same error.

Simply can't connect to SQL server.

See attached error in previous message - Named Pipes.

I'm using single dot "." to specify server name when connecting via SSMS

• Would really appreciate your expertise on this Grant.

I'm now thinking should I run the Setup GUI for SQL 2014 and run the Repair option?

What are my options?

Are there any remote commands I can use / Powershell?

• Hi Grant, I have a bit more information.

It would appear that in the confusion of installing and uninstalling that there is now no SQL Server service running !!!

See atttached screenshot of services running.

Only 2 versions of Integration Services are running - nothing else.

Can I run the repair from 2014 GUI to fix this?

Many thanks.

Dunc

• If there isn't a service running, SSMS isn't going to be able to connect to anything. Further, at least from what you're showing, you don't have a SQL Server instance running there at all. I'd say that you should go through the 2014 installation again.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• In addition to running the 2014 install again, I would run the developer edition install. That is unless you are going to discard those two databases afterall.

The developer edition makes more sense on a personal laptop than standard edition.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• This is actually pretty simple if you don't mind the databases being permanently converted to 2014, which they already are...

Buy a copy of the SQL Server Developer's Edition for 2014. It's about 60 bucks or less depending on where you look. I believe even WalMart carries it now.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Yeah thanks Grant/SQLNRR/Jeff - actually I have downloaded a copy of SQL 2014 Dev inc SP1 and will try to install and connect from there.

Will let you know if any problems.

Original confusion was that, unlike 2012, SQL 2014 doesn't ship with SSDT (data tools for BI, etc) - had to download separately.

Tried to latch SSDTBI_VS2012_x86_ENU install onto SQL 2012 dev edition (original one I had), then upgrade to 2014 didn't work as it required at least SP1 installed on 2012. Originally tried Visual Studio 2013 SSDT install but came back with an architecture incompatibility, so reverted to Studio 2013.

Tell you what they don't make it easy.

Have already installed SQL 2014 Enterprise on to 3 BI servers and latch on SSDTBI_VS2012 successfully.

Guess the local laptop problems were due to the upgrade/uninstall complications.

• DuncEduardo (8/5/2015)

Tell you what they don't make it easy.

You said a mouthful there!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• ok so after reinstall of SQL Server 2014 SP1 I reattached dBs from MDF/LDF files and most databases were fine.

Sadly, one database originally showing as Suspect was no longer in the folder (mdf and ldf) so couldn't restore.

Somehow in all the tooing and froing that one was removed by SQL Server.

Luckily (and this is particularly lucky) I had saved an SSIS project on 2012 which recreates and populates most of the objects in that database.

Also had a SQL script to create the base objects.

Kind of makes up for the original error in not taking dB backups.

Must take more care when upgrading/installing/uninstalling in the future!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply