SQL Server 2014 AlwaysOn between DC (3 Node) and DR(2 Node) setup

• Hi,

We have 3 Node cluster (Active-Active-Active) at DC and 2 node cluster (Active-Active) at DR. We want to setup SQL Server 2014 AlwaysOn between DC and DR in a such a way that if all 3-Node at DC goes down then then failover should happen at DR server

Please let me know if this is possible. Need some suggestions on this

Regards,

Nikhil P Desai

• nikhil.desai1 (2/18/2016)

Hi,

We have 3 Node cluster (Active-Active-Active) at DC and 2 node cluster (Active-Active) at DR. We want to setup SQL Server 2014 AlwaysOn between DC and DR in a such a way that if all 3-Node at DC goes down then then failover should happen at DR server

Please let me know if this is possible. Need some suggestions on this

Regards,

Nikhil P Desai

all nodes would need to be members of the same WSFC, it appears that you have 2 separate clusters, is that correct?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Nikhil, please look at the following Microsoft Article: Microsoft SQL Server AlwaysOn Solutions Guide for High Availability and Disaster Recovery (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh781257.aspx)

In theory, what you are suggesting can be done. I would do it in a VM Test environment first.

At the Infrastructure level you have Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC). Which as mentioned by Mr. Perry Whittle it has to be one WSFC for all hosts. Now that it allows us to do Multi-Subnet Clustering.

For your Data Center having Active-Active-Active SQL Cluster Instance (Shared Storage) and then the secondary node on the alwaysON Group would be an Active-Active SQL Instance (Shared Storage).

Synchronization between the subnets (Synchronous commit or Asynchronous). Nomrally for across subnets it should Asynchronous so there might be some latency.

Not the best recommended way of doing this but in theory it should work. Go ahead and read the HA/DR document.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply