SQL Server 2016 AlwaysOn and MSDTC

• Hi Guys,
    Do i need to cluster MSDTC in an AlwaysOn environment?
    Any benefit to do so?
    Can i just use the local MSDTC? If node 01 failed, MSDTC will not work?
    thanks

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• JasonClark - Thursday, January 26, 2017 9:43 PM

chewychewy - Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:38 PM

Hi Guys,
    Do i need to cluster MSDTC in an AlwaysOn environment?
    Any benefit to do so?
    Can i just use the local MSDTC? If node 01 failed, MSDTC will not work?
    thanks

Do i need to cluster MSDTC in an AlwaysOn environment?.

if you plan to use Linked Servers, then you will need to create a clustered MSDTC resource.

Have a look here in support for distributed transaction section at this link: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms366279.aspx

MSDTC is used by SQL Server and other applications when they want to make a distributed transaction between more than one machine.  A distributed transaction is simple a transactions which spans between two or more machines.  The basic concept is that machine 1 starts a transaction, and does some work.  It then connects to machine 2 and does some work.  The work on machine 2 fails, and is cancled.  The work on machine 1 needs to then be rolled back.

DTC is for the most part a black box.  It just sort of works without much interaction exept for the initial setup.

The only time that DTC needs to be used is when more than one physical computer is going to be involved in an explicet distributed transaction.  If you are going from one instance to another on the same server DTC will not be needed.  If you are going from one instance to another within a cluster you will want to have DTC available as you may have to go between nodes of the cluster as you have no guarantee that the instances will be on the same physical node.

So its a best practice create separate Computer object for dtc in cluster always on and assign separate shared storage. so its become online all time.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply