SQL Server 2K Backup History

• Hello all, I have a quick question.  I am currently trying to extract data from SQL Server to determine the last time a backup was run for a particular database.

I have identified the following two tables msdb.backupfile and msdb.backupset these both give me exactly what I am after, by performing a simple query I can retrieve the backupfile.backup_set_id for each backupfile and do a simple join on backupset.backup_set_id to retrieve the backupset.backup_start_date and backupset.backup_finish_date. 

This is excellent, but I have been hunting for a system stored procedure or system function that will avoid me having to query the system tables directly but to no avail.  Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.?

Cheers

Lloyd

• As I recall when I ran a profile trace on the taskpad view in Enterprise Manager it queried the system tables directly in order to get that information.

You might double-check that though.  It's been a while.

All I did was open EM and set the database view to detail, switch to profiler configured to trace events with just that database and the system databases, started the trace, switched back to EM, changed the view to taskpad, waited till it was done loading and turned off the trace.

"I met Larry Niven at ConClave 27...AND I fixed his computer. How cool is that?"
    (Memoirs of a geek)

• I use the following when creating a test version of a database based on the most recent back up. 

declare @physical_device_name nvarchar(128)

declare @backup_start_date datetime

declare @db varchar(128)

set @db = 'dbname'    -- the name of the database

select @physical_device_name = physical_device_name , @backup_start_date = backup_start_date

from  msdb.dbo.backupset a join msdb.dbo.backupmediaset b on a.media_set_id = b.media_set_id

join msdb.dbo.backupmediafamily c on a.media_set_id = c.media_set_id

where type='D' and backup_start_date =

(select top 1 backup_start_date from msdb.dbo.backupset

where @db = database_name and type = 'D'

order by backup_start_date desc) 

select @backup_start_date     --- the time of most recent backup

select @physical_device_name  --  the name of backup file

Francis

• We use a view, similar to this one:

CREATE VIEW MostRecentBackup

AS

select   a.database_name as 'DatabaseName', max(backup_finish_date) as 'BackupDate'

from     msdb..backupset a

where    a.type in ('I','D')

and exists

(select *

from   master..sysdatabases b

where  a.database_name = b.name

and    isnull(databaseproperty(b.name,'isReadOnly'),0) = 0

and    isnull(databaseproperty(b.name,'isOffline'),0)  = 0)

group by a.database_name

The only difference is that we have another condition in the where clause to exclude certain databases based on their existence in an exclusion table.

Regards,
    Steve

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• As you can see by the replies, there is no system functionality to get the backup history (at least none that I know of), so I guess, as you already have found out, you will need to query the system tables.

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• Thanx guys, much appreciated fhanlon you hit the nail on the head there, thats pretty much what i've come up with aswell, cheers aswell sharrell i hadn't thought of an exclusion table.

Thanks again,

Lloyd

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply