SQL Server 7.0 and Service Pack 4 is Slow

• I have just installed Windows 2000 Server on a new machine with SQL Server 7 Standard.

The application that uses the SQL Server had a particular screen that was taking between 5-10 mins to produce on the old server with NT 4 and the same SQL Server Standard.

On the new server it was reduced to 7 secs! Yes 7 secs! But now I just added SQL Server Service Pack 4 to the system and it takes 1min 45 sec.

Does anyone know what could have caused the slowness and is there any solution to bring the time back to 7secs?

• I would guess that when SP4 was applied you would need to update the statistics.   Have you checked the query plan?

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack,

You could be right but when I checked the Options page for the DB it has Auto Update Stats and Auto Create Stats checked.

As I am not a DBA but a developer I have only a limited knowledge about optimization.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

• I'm not sure what changes SP4 made, but just because auto create and auto update stats are on does not mean you have the correct stats as SQL Server just does a sampling of the data to create stats.  In my opinion the best way to find out what is causing the query to run slowly is to run the query in QA with the show query plan option (CTRL-K turns it on) and analyze the query plan.  Then work from what is taking the majority of the execution time.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply