SQL Server Agent access

• Hi everyone. The only way I can allow SSMS users from their clients to see the SQL Server Agent is to give their login account the sysadmin role within the SQL instance to which they're connecting. Is there another SQL role or group to assign a user to be able to see the Server Agent without giving such powerful permissions?

• There is a group in the msdb database that will allow non-admin users to view jobs. I am in a tight game of yahoo chess or i would look it up for you as it slips my mind. http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Skins/Classic/Dialogs/InsertEmotIcon.aspx?ControlID=txtPost#

• msdb has 3 roles (SQLAgentUserRole, SQLAgentReaderRole, or SQLAgentOperatorRole) that allow varying levels of access to SQL Agent.

SQLAgentOperatorRole is the most powerful of them all - it allow a user to see all jobs (regardless of the job owner) and to start or create them.

• Thanks Eric. Happycat nailed it. I had to add the user to the msdb and add the user to the msdb SQLAgentOperator Role.

• You nailed it Happycat. I had to add the user to the msdb and add the user to the msdb SQLAgentOperator Role.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply