SQL Server Agent fails to start - no error msg

• We have a Win2000 server (SP2) with SQL Server 2000 (SP3). The SQL Server service is running fine without any problem but recently the SQL Server Agent could not be started.

There's the following error in the Event log:

"The SQLSERVERAGENT service terminated unexpectedly."

This is the content of the latest Agent log (from ...\MSSQL\Log dir):

2003-06-20 09:11:39 - ? [100] Microsoft SQLServerAgent version 8.00.760 (x86 unicode retail build) : Process ID

2003-06-20 09:11:39 - ? [100] Microsoft SQLServerAgent version 8.00.760 (x86 unicode retail build) : Process ID 2108

2003-06-20 09:11:39 - ? [101] SQL Server APRO-SZERVER version 8.00.760 (0 connection limit)

2003-06-20 09:11:39 - ? [102] SQL Server ODBC driver version 3.81.9031

2003-06-20 09:11:39 - ? [103] NetLib being used by driver is DBMSSHRN.DLL; Local host server is

2003-06-20 09:11:39 - ? [310] 2 processor(s) and 512 MB RAM detected

2003-06-20 09:11:39 - ? [339] Local computer is APRO-SZERVER running Windows NT 5.0 (2195) Service Pack 2

Does anybody has an idea? What could be the problem? How can I get more detailed info about the error?

Csaba Mezo (mezo@inform.hu)

Csaba Mezo

• Hi Csaba,

quote:

We have a Win2000 server (SP2) with SQL Server 2000 (SP3). The SQL Server service is running fine without any problem but recently the SQL Server Agent could not be started.

There's the following error in the Event log:

"The SQLSERVERAGENT service terminated unexpectedly."

2003-06-20 09:11:39 - ? [100] Microsoft SQLServerAgent version 8.00.760 (x86 unicode retail build) : Process ID

2003-06-20 09:11:39 - ? [100] Microsoft SQLServerAgent version 8.00.760 (x86 unicode retail build) : Process ID 2108

2003-06-20 09:11:39 - ? [101] SQL Server APRO-SZERVER version 8.00.760 (0 connection limit)

2003-06-20 09:11:39 - ? [103] NetLib being used by driver is DBMSSHRN.DLL; Local host server is

2003-06-20 09:11:39 - ? [310] 2 processor(s) and 512 MB RAM detected

2003-06-20 09:11:39 - ? [339] Local computer is APRO-SZERVER running Windows NT 5.0 (2195) Service Pack 2

Does anybody has an idea? What could be the problem? How can I get more detailed info about the error?

Any entries in the Windows Event log?

Anything changed in your configuration? Hardware, software patches...?

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• Hi Frank,

In the event log I only find the error message that I wrote in my first posting. Nothing more.

No, there was no change in the config. However currently I started to reinstall the SQL Server then I will see if it solves the problem or not.

Thanks,

Csaba

Csaba Mezo

• Hi,

I reinstalled the SQL Server + SP3 but nothing has changed. The Agent still can't be started :(((

I have 2 ideas left:

1. Something is wrong with the operating system.

2. There's a setting that prevents the Agent from starting. But what could it be???

Any other idea?

Thanx,

Csaba

Csaba Mezo

• Hi,

quote:

I reinstalled the SQL Server + SP3 but nothing has changed. The Agent still can't be started :(((

I have 2 ideas left:

1. Something is wrong with the operating system.

2. There's a setting that prevents the Agent from starting. But what could it be???

under which account is SQL Server agent started. Does it have sufficient privileges to do so?

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• The SQL Agent service runs under local system account. I also tried to assign the local administrator to it but the result is the same: it still can't be started.

The SQL Server service also runs under local system account without any problem.

Could it be a system error (missing dll, damaged registry, etc.)?

Csaba Mezo

Csaba Mezo

• Hi Csaba,

sorry, from now on I can only guess.

quote:

0 connection limit?

quote:

'DBMSSHRN.DLL' I don't see such a file in my Client network Utility.

quote:

Service Pack 3 is out.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• Hi Frank,

It was nice that you tried to help. Here are some further answers:

- 0 connection limit I also don't understand exactly but I think it means no limit. I also found it on the Internet and it seems to be ok.

- the 'DBMSSHRN.DLL' is used by SQL Server for shared memory protocol (that's all I know).

From the Agent error log I don't understand the 1st line (why there is no PID) and 5th line (why it doesn't know the name of the local host server).

I keep trying and I will inform you if I find the reason.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Csaba Mezo

Csaba Mezo

• quote:

The SQL Agent service runs under local system account. I also tried to assign the local administrator to it but the result is the same: it still can't be started.

The SQL Server service also runs under local system account without any problem.

Are you saying you can start SQL Server Agent server using local system account without problem? What kind of account do give your problem? Make sure that account is able to access SQL Server with 'sa' right.

• Dear Allen,

Sorry, my statement was misunderstandable. I meant that I wanted to start the Agent under local system account as well as under local admin user. Both solution failed so until now I haven't found any way how I can start the Agent.

The SQL Server itself runs without any problem.

Thanks!

Csaba Mezo

Csaba Mezo

• Dear All,

I also found a very interesting problem on the server. If I go to the server (pcAnywhere), open the LOCAL Enterprise Manager and try to register the LOCAL SQL Server instance then I get an error message:

[SQL-DMO]Code execution exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

If I open the Enterprise Manager on my PC and register the same server here then it succeeds!

Any idea?

Csaba Mezo

Csaba Mezo

• Has 'BUILTIN\Administrators' login been removed/denied from SQL Server Logins?

If it is, To start SQL Server Agent from local system account, You have to grant 'NT Authority\System' account to access SQL Server with 'sa' privilege. If you want to use local admin account to start SQL Server Agent, grant this local admin account to access SQL Server with 'sa' right.

• Hi Allen,

The 'BUILTIN\Administrators' goup has access to the server with System Administrator role.

I also added the server's Administrator user to the server with full access and changed the Agent service to run under that account but it doesn't help.

Thanks!

Csaba Mezo

Csaba Mezo

• If you can, try to reboot the machine. Any service pack installed?

• Hi Csaba,

you've said, you've installed SQL Server. Can you reinstall the OS or is this a problem?

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply