SQL Server Agent Fails to Startup

• I am running SQL 7 on a clustered enviroment. We are running in Mixed mode security. For security reasons we needed to change our sa PW last night. When I got in this morning, I noticed that none of the jobs after the change had started. So I looked at the SQL Server Agent and noticed that I had forgoten to change the PW in its properties. So I took it offline using the Cluster Admin, changed the SA PW and brought the SQL Service Agent back online. The SQL Server Agent Resourse came back online just fine. But when I look at the SQL Server Agent in EM, it is still showing "stopped" and under services it is showing as "Starting". When I look at the Agent Log, the last line in the log says "Attempting to start mail session using profile 'sqlclst' ...

• Also please note that I have SQL Mail configured with Outlook and the user profile that I have set up also had its PW changed, which I reverted back to its original PW this morning. I also restarted SQL Mail as well as tested the profile and its working fine. PLEASE HELP - THANKS

• Changing 'sa' password shouldn't affect your jobs unless there is 'password hardcode' in the jobs.

You seems changed the SQL Server service account password, Isn't it?

• Hi Allen,

No I did not change the SQL Server Startup account. That is the same as what SQL Server runs in. After SA PW was Changed last night, this is what I noticed in the SQLAGENT log in the morning -SQLServer Error: 18456, Login failed for user 'sa'. [SQLSTATE 28000].

• Right click on the Agent (in EM) and choose properties. Switch to the 'Connection' tab and change SA pwd there.

Hope this helps.

• I agree with psclvn, it looks like you have SQLSERVERAGENT service set to run under the SA account. I suggest checking that and MSSQLSERVER service account. If either or both of them are running under SA account, create a new account with admin privileges for those services to run under.

-SQLBill

• Thanks for your help guys. Like I mentioned in my starting post, I already changed the sa PW to the new one in connection Tab of the SQL Server Agent. Nothing else has changed. Both SQL Server as well as SQL Agent are running under an account with administrator privileges.

• I even changed to "use Windows NT authentication" in the connection tab of the SQL Server Agent and restarted SQL Agent through the cluster admin - its the same. It hangs at this point - "Attempting to start mail session using profile 'sqlclst'..."

• Read http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306655

Quoted

"You must investigate this particular problem from the standpoint of whether SQL Mail is properly configured as described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

263556 INF: How to Configure SQL Mail

However, if you verify that SQL Mail is configured properly, and the problem still occurs, then Microsoft recommends that you open a support case with Microsoft Product Support Services for further troubleshooting and analysis."

• Yep. SQL Mail is configured fine. I might reebot the server tonight. Everything else looks good to me.

• I restarted SQL Server Service and it did not work. So then I created a new domain user, a new exchange account, new profile etc etc and restarted the agent using this account as well as the new profile. Came up fine.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply