SQL Server Agent high CPU usage

• I have six stored procedure that I have to run hourly during the day.  When I schedule them into separate SQL jobs (they must run concurrently), the percent CPU of Sqlagent90.exe process goes way up, eventually pegging out the overal CPU usage on the server.  When I run the six stored procedures concurrently from query windows in SQL Server Management Sudio, the overall CPU usage stays very low.

Is there something about the SQL Server Agent that inherently adds CPU overheard?  Thanks in advance ....

Kindest Regards,

DrewTheEngineer

• Drew, what service pack do you have installed in SQL Server?  Do a SELECT @@VERSION and post the results.

• Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.3054.00 (Intel X86)

Mar 23 2007 16:28:52

Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation

Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)

Note: I installed SQL2005 SP2 last week, but the behavior existed before then.

Kindest Regards,

DrewTheEngineer

• Whats the behavior when you create a single job and do something trivial like SELECT @@VERSION?

• I have exactly the same behaviour. I have many scheduled SQL Jobs running and once in a while I notice that SQLAGENT90.EXE just uses one CPU completely... I then kill the process after which SQLAGENT restarts and runs normally for a while.

No idea why...

My @@version:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.3042.00 (Intel X86)   Feb  9 2007 22:47:07  

Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation  Workgroup Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

• I have the same problem also. 9.00.3042.00... I have quite some jobs running here all the time. The behaviour is the same. SQLAGENT90.EXE claims one CPU. When I kill the process, the agent returns automatically with normal CPU usage. After "some" time, it starts using 100% again.

I just requested the cumulative hotfix pack 4 for SQL2005SP2 from microsoft (dated oct 17). I will try that. There is no real indication of any hotfixes, but at least it contains a new version of SQLAGENT90.EXE

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply