SQL SERVER Agent tool

• Hi All,

In my one of production server i am not able to schedule backup reason is The SQL Agent toll is not installed.... please check the attachment FYI.... let me know shall i repair the SQL Server or shall i download any tool for this. I can't take down time...

Thanks & Regards

Satish Saidapur

• From the screenshot it appears that you are using SQL Server 2005 Express Edition. SQL Server Agent is not available in that edition. You may have to use some other tools like the one here to perform maintenance tasks.

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

• One way that I worked around this for Express instances was to run backup jobs on a server with SQL Agent. The job called a backup proc on the Express instance and backed up the databases. That way I could schedule it.

• If the only functionality you are desiring from the SQL Server Agent service (and the lack thereof) is a scheduled backup, then there are a few third-party tools out there. If you have any experience developing applications, you could write a very quick and simple application to backup the desired database(s) and then schedule it in Windows Task Scheduler.

If you are not a software developer, then let me know and I can whip something up quickly for you.

Twitter: @SQLife
    Email: sqlsalt(at)outlook(dot)com

• Hi,

In our server i don't have rights to use third party tool, could you help me through Application how do take backup....

Thanks

• saidapurs (9/18/2011)

Hi,

In our server i don't have rights to use third party tool, could you help me through Application how do take backup....

Use the Windows Task Scheduler (mentioned earlier) to run a backup script with sqlcmd.

I use this backup procedure http://ola.hallengren.com/Documentation.html

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply