SQL Server AlwaysOn Std Vs Ent

• Hi Folks,

Can anyone point me in the direction or let me know at the differences are between 2014 Std AlwaysOn and Ent AlwaysOn?

Many Thanks

• Very simple.

Always On Availability Groups is Enterprise Only.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • AlwaysOn Failover Clustered Instances is available in Standard edition, limited to 2 physical nodes.

"AlwaysOn" is a marketing name and it does not correspond directly to a single feature. Stop using the name "AlwaysOn" and use Failover Clustered Instances (FCI) or Availability Groups (AG) to refer to these features.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• So, am I right in saying I could substitute the word AlwaysOn for High Availability?

I was thinking AlwaysOn was the name of the new High Availability features of SQL 2014. It seems I was wrong and in fact "AlwaysOn Availability Groups" are the new feature. And SQL "Fail Over Clustering" is the version of AlwaysOn which is available in SQL 2014 where as "AlwaysOn Groups" are not.

Was "Failover Clustering" a feature of SQL 2012 Standard?

Marketing shpiel that confused me!!!

• Blackdog (9/9/2015)

So, am I right in saying I could substitute the word AlwaysOn for High Availability?

No. Well, not if you want to be understood by others anyway.

I was thinking AlwaysOn was the name of the new High Availability features of SQL 2014. It seems I was wrong and in fact "AlwaysOn Availability Groups" are the new feature.

Availability Groups aren't new in SQL 2014. They were added in SQL 2012. They're Enterprise edition only in both.

And SQL "Fail Over Clustering" is the version of AlwaysOn which is available in SQL 2014 where as "AlwaysOn Groups" are not.

Huh?

Failover clustering has been in SQL Server since SQL Server 7 (released in 1995). It was 'renamed' to "Always On Failover Cluster Instances" in SQL 2012, but it's the same old failover clustering that's been around for years.

Was "Failover Clustering" a feature of SQL 2012 Standard?

And SQL 2008/2008 R2 standard edition. And SQL 2005 standard edition, and SQL 2000 standard edition.

"Always On" is a marketing term. Not a feature.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yes as I thought, I missed the name change from Failover Clustering to AlwaysOn Failover Clustering.

If you look at the 2012 licensing guide it says AlwaysOn High Availability is not a feature so I'm assuming by this they mean Always on Availability Groups.

Just got confused!

• Blackdog (9/9/2015)

Just got confused!

You're not alone. Bad move from MS in my opinion.

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply