SQL Server and hostnames...

• Hello Folks,

Sorry for the newbie question, but I'm new to SQL Server.

I currently have a SQL Server 2K + SP4 installed on machineA.  If I change the hostname to machineB, will SQL Server have a problem with the new hostname?  Do I have to configure anything in SQL Server before changing the machine's hostname?

Many thanks,

Alex.

• Nope. Next time u will use SQL installation.. it will report a name mismatch and ask u to rectify it.

• Just to clarify the above post, if you're using SQL Server 7 there was an issue where if you renamed the server it would have trouble recognizing the new name.  This can be recitfied by re-running the SQL Server install from the original disk.  The install in this case does actually not re-install SQL server, it just reconciles the mashine name.  SQL 2000 IIRC doesn't have this issue, but it's been a while since I've done a server move.

If you issue select @@servername you may be surprised to see the old server name still appearing.  This can be rectified by using the sp_dropserver and sp_addserver stored procs.  There's another thread explaining this a little bit more here:  http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=5&messageid=163802

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Hello folks,

Thanks much!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply