SQL Server and Integrations Services on Different Servers

• I have installed SQL Server on Server A. I have installed Integration Services on Server B.

I found that you need to addto the integrations services MsDtsSrvr.ini.xml file the server for the database if you want to use MSDB package store. The issue I have now is how do I execute the jobs on the Integration Server. I dont want them to execute on the SQL Server. Is there a way to configure the SQL Server Agent jobs to execute the package on the other server? Do you have to setup windows scheduled tasks or some other tool to execute command line packages on the IS server?

I'm looking for any info on segregating these roles but still using the MSDB store for pacakages. I don't want SQL server installed on the IS server or IS on the SQL Server. I want the Integration Services server to do all processing... not database level obviously but flat file reads, web service calls, data manipulaiton, custom code, etc and just pass the input/output of data to the SQL server for storage or retrieval to offload the workload and segregreate responsibilities.

I've been searching but not finding what I need to help get this configured properly.

• SQL Server Agent is installed with the SQL Server RDBMS only. You can't just install SQL Server Agent on its own.

You could install an instance of SQL Server onto the SSIS server just for the purposes of scheduling the execution of SSIS packages. Since you have already installed SSIS, there would be no additional license. Your update to MsDtsSrvr.ini.xml would still be OK. You would specify the name of the existing SQL Server instance when creating the job steps.

Otherwise, you will need to use another scheduling tool.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply